Choosing Classes for a Future in Medicine: Advice for HS Students

• Thread starter amd123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Guidance
In summary, the conversation revolves around the individual's aspirations to pursue a medical career, specifically surgery. They seek advice on their course choices and express their struggle with Honors English. They also mention their interest in business and wonder if they should consider plastic surgery or anesthesiology. The conversation also touches on the extensive education and training required to become a doctor. Ultimately, the individual is advised to focus on their high school education and not worry about choosing a specific medical field until they are in medical school. The conversation ends with a reminder to follow their own passion and not be forced into a career by their parents.
amd123
I want to do something medical related after College, preferably something where I got to do surgery like a surgeon or anesthesiologist What I need advice on is what to choose for next year.

Currently, I'm a sophomore and am taking these classes:
Bio I
Chemistry
Algebra II
Honors English
Spanish III
Honors English
Computer Applications II
AP US Govt and Politics

I'm doing terrible in Honors English, like a 70...:( It's just something I'm weak at and I've struggled with it last year and this year and am thinking about dropping next year to take the regular college track english course so I can get an A in that without any hassle. I don't want to kill my gpa and currently its falling fast. I had a 90 GPA at the start of the year and now it's 82.

I'm planning to take for my Junior Year:
College Prep English
Pre Cal w/Trig
Honors Spanish IV
AP World History
Guitar I

now I don't know whether to take AP Bio, Bio II, Organic Chemistry, AP Chem, or Physics. I'm really confused, I don't know what to take and what order to take them in, please help and shed some light on what I should do and maybe some other medical careers are related to the ones I selected. Also, I asked some people who are in College currently, they said I need 4 years of College, 4 Years of Med School and 3 years of a residency program to obtain an M.D. in anything.

Physics news on Phys.org
You say you currently have 8 couses? Do you believe you should be able to successfully pass 8 courses in one school year (assuming year long course each)? You only have 6 class periods in a school day.

If your goal is something medical after college, then while in high school, at least do one college prep. math course each year, 3 or 4 years of sciences, and any other electives which you have time to do, including English or Government if you wish. Any practical skills course may be useful for your general development.

Nothing you do in high school will really matter at all in the end. Just take the highest classes that are available to you, and in which you can make good grades.

You'll need to get a bachelor's degree (4 years), attend medical school (another 4 years), serve one year as an intern, and then anywhere from 3-7 years as a resident.

- Warren

Oh and I have a strong passion for business I mean I'm 15 and trade stocks and exchange currencies, my orginal career choice was a floor trader but my parents are forcing me to become a doctor... What you think... I mean I know the aspect of being a doctor is really cool, you get to fix "BROKEN" bodies and there's no greater feeling than that... Anyways would you guys recommend Plastic Surgery or Anesthesiology?

I'd say it's too early for you to seriously consider either. You're not even out of high school yet. Try focusing on high school.

- Warren

amd123 said:
now I don't know whether to take AP Bio, Bio II, Organic Chemistry, AP Chem, or Physics.

The physics you won't really urgently need, but anything in bio or chem is useful. You'll probably be expected to take a more complete course in O-Chem in college, so there might not be much use to taking a high-school version. Probably better to focus on AP bio and chem courses, as the AP tests will usually get you out of lower-division bio and chem courses in college, giving you a leg up on all the other bio majors who want to go to med school (and there will be lots of them).

amd123 said:
Also, I asked some people who are in College currently, they said I need 4 years of College, 4 Years of Med School and 3 years of a residency program to obtain an M.D. in anything.

Well, you get the M.D. at the end of med school, but, yeah, that's what's involved in starting a career as a doctor. By the way, surgery is by far the most competitive field in medicine, and will require pretty much all of your waking hours for years on end. But don't worry too much about choosing a specific medical field at this point; you don't have to worry about that until you're actually IN medical school. You will be assigned to do what's called "rotations," which is basically where you work as an intern in different medical fields, including surgery. The idea being that you will find out what it's really like in each field, and so identify the one that's right for you. In the meantime, focus on your bio and chem.

symbolipoint said:
You say you currently have 8 couses? Do you believe you should be able to successfully pass 8 courses in one school year (assuming year long course each)? You only have 6 class periods in a school day.

My high school has 7 periods a day, and he listed 7 too, just with english duplicated.

amd123 said:
now I don't know whether to take AP Bio, Bio II, Organic Chemistry, AP Chem, or Physics.

You should probably take the AP science classes if you've already taken the class for the first time. If you've taken all three (bio, chem, physics), then you could probably choose to take any of them, and in any order as it really doesn't matter. At my school at least, all three AP science classes were double-period, so you'll probably end up only taking two of them.

You probably should take physics your junior or senior year. I think most people take all three of the basic science courses in high school.

PLEASE DO NOT become a doctor because your parents are "forcing you"
Do what you want to do, what makes you happy.
Doctor positions are for those whoa re really dedicated to it, not for those who are forced into it because their parents want them to be successful and make a lot of money

What is HS?

HS stands for high school. It is a period of education typically attended by students between the ages of 14-18 years old.

Why do I need guidance for HS?

High school is an important time in a student's life, as it sets the foundation for their future academic and career goals. Guidance during this time can help students make informed decisions about their courses, extracurricular activities, and post-secondary options.

What kind of guidance can I receive for HS?

There are various forms of guidance available for high school students. This can include academic counseling, career exploration, college planning, and social and emotional support.

Who can provide guidance for HS?

Guidance for high school students can be provided by a school counselor, teacher, parent, or other trusted adult. There are also organizations and programs that offer guidance specifically for high school students.

How can I get the most out of guidance for HS?

To get the most out of guidance for high school, it is important to actively participate and communicate with your guidance counselor or mentor. Be open to their advice and suggestions, and take advantage of resources and opportunities they may provide.