Need some help about a Steradian

• Thread starter dilan
  • Start date
In summary, a radian is the size of an arc of the size of a radius/radius, 2*22/7*r/r=360', and 22/7rad=180'.
dilan
Hi,

hmm I am just a liitle confused in this Steradian. Now I know that this works only with 3D.

Now a radian is = arc of the size of a radius/radius
So that
2*22/7*r/r = 360'
2*22/7rad = 360'
22/7rad = 180'

Now that's how a radian is counted in 2D
Is there any connection like this in a steradian? I mean can it be converted into degrees and measure the angle of 3D objects.

I just need to know this because I am really confused :confused: of this Steredian. Please guy if you got any links about it post here.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Just like the 2D angle can be measured using the radius of a circle (1 radian equals the angle subtended by an arc length of 1 radius), so can the 3D solid angle: 1 steradian equals the solid angle subtended by an area of one radius squared on the surface of a sphere.

http://www.usd.edu/~schieber/trb2000/sld021.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steradian

Last edited by a moderator:
Degrees only work for angles where 180 degrees=pi radians.
Degrees do not connect to steradians.
An entire sphere covers 4pi steradians.
Just forget about degrees and steradians are easy.

Oh that's right

So steradians do not connect with degrees?
I see. But then in what unit do they measure the angle. Is it just Steredian and then make the sums.

The unit is "steradian". For instance, a hemisphere has 2\pi steradians.

Well, they might not be able to forget entirely about degrees. In astronomy, for example, angular areas are often quoted in "square degrees". Converting is just a matter of multiplying by the square of the conversion from radians to degrees:

Angular Area of sphere = [itex]4\pi[/itex] steradians = [itex]4\pi(\frac{360}{2\pi})^2[/itex] square degrees [itex]\simeq[/itex] 41,000 square degrees

The important thing to remember is that it's a unit of angle squared. Conversion should then be easy.

hey thanks that's very useful. Thanks alot

1. What is a steradian?

A steradian is a unit of measurement for solid angles, commonly used in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is represented by the symbol sr and is defined as the solid angle subtended at the center of a sphere by an area on the surface of the sphere equal to the square of its radius.

2. How is a steradian different from a radian?

A steradian is a measurement of solid angles, while a radian is a measurement of angles in a two-dimensional plane. One steradian is equal to approximately 3282.8 square radians.

3. How is a steradian used in real-world applications?

Steradians are commonly used in fields such as optics, astronomy, and computer graphics to measure the spread of light or radiation in three-dimensional space. They can also be used to calculate the apparent size of objects as they appear from different perspectives.

4. Can you provide an example of a steradian calculation?

Sure, for example, the solid angle of a cone with a base radius of 2 meters and a height of 3 meters can be calculated using the formula for the solid angle of a cone: Ω = 2π(1 - cos(θ)), where θ is the half-angle of the cone. If we assume a half-angle of 30 degrees, the solid angle would be approximately 2.18 steradians.

5. Is there a relationship between steradians and other units of measurement?

Yes, there is a relationship between steradians and other units of measurement such as square degrees, square minutes, and square seconds. One steradian is equal to approximately 3282.8 square degrees, 1,870,318 square minutes, or 112,219,090 square seconds.