1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need some help on 2D Momentum Problems

1. Nov 23, 2004 #1
    A steel ball of mass 10kg moves due east at 5.0m/s. It collides with a rubber ball of mass 5.0 kg moving at 10m/s due north. After the collision the steel ball moves at an angle of 60 degrees East of North with a speed of 4.0 m/s.
    If the collision were perfectly elastic what would be the speeds of the two balls after the collision?

Where do I start. I know total momentum before = total momentum after. But there seems to be 2 variables. vafter for steel ball and v after for rubber ball.

Can an elastic collision have the 2 objects even stick together?
    If so then i got 1.92m/s.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2004 #2
    If the collision is elastic the 2 objects won't stisk together.

Try thinking of momentum as a vector. You can use triginometry for the angel, but I don't think it's realy necesry.

P.S. don't forget that the mass of the 2 balls is constant
  4. Nov 23, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You have two unknowns so you need two equations. Yes, one of the equations is "momentum before= momentum after", conservation of momenum. Since this collision is "elastic", the other is "kinetic energy before= kinetic energy after": conservation of energy.

Momentum is a vector quantity so you will need to consider x and y components separately. Kinetic energy is a "scalar" quantity so you really have 3 equations for 4 unknowns (x and y components of both velocities) but fortunately you are given the angles.
  5. Nov 24, 2004 #4
    I need help on another question
    A ball of mass 3.0kg moving at a speed of 3.0ms has a head-on collision with a stationary ball of mass 4.0kg.

If the collision were perfectly elastic what would be the speeds of the two balls after the collision?

I used the momentum before=momentum after equation and the KE before= Ke after equation.

I get weird answers. I get 2 answers. I get the velocity of the 3kg ball at -.42m/s and 3m/s. So whats the answer? If i know the velocity of the of this ball I can find the velocity of the other.
  6. Nov 25, 2004 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Using only considerations of energy&momentum conservation before and after collision will always yield two sets of possible answers (solutions):
    1) There hasn't been any interacting force between the two objects in the collision period.
    That is, there wasn't any collision after all.
    2) There has been a net momentum transfer (through a non-zero force) during collision.

Your 3m/s possibility is clearly of the trivial 1)-type.
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?