Max Depth of Platform on Spring Calculator

• Thread starter godindisguise
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Springs
In summary: The platform would extend until its maximum extension, which is 2d above the equilibrium point of the spring (since the spring has no mass).
godindisguise
A wingless fly of mass m sits on top of a platform of mass M supported by a spring of constant k. At time t the fly decides to jump upwards and by doing so, reaches a maximum altitude of 2d above the equilibrium point of the unloaded spring (i.e. the spring without the platform and fly). Assuming that the spring has no mass, find what is the maximum depth reached by the platform.

Homework Equations

F=-kx

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how the fly jumping up a certain height has anything to do with the depth at which the spring originally was...the most simple answer I could come up with:

F = -kx
mg+MG = -kx
x = -g(m+M)/k

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks correct for the initial position of the spring. The question is about what happens AFTER the fly jumps. What happens to the platform, after the fly jumps off it?

Thanks..but REALLY need some more help...

Imagine somebody made a video of this and played it backwards.

You see the fly falling from a given height onto the platform mounted on a spring. (Imagine its a big fly and a small platform). Does that remind you of any type of problem you have seen before? What equations would you use to solve it?

I am a little confused by the question. Like the original post, I can't see how the fly's height would mean anything. If anything, wouldn't this just cause the spring to release slightly?

after the fly jumps, the fly gains momentum. by the conservation of momentum, what is the momentum of the platform immediately after the fly jumps? (hint: consider the energy of the fly)

the following equation may be helpful:
[tex]KE=\frac{p^2}{2m}[/tex]

from there, how can you find the maximum extension of the spring?

Last edited:

1. How do springs work?

Springs work by storing potential energy when they are stretched or compressed. This potential energy is then released when the spring returns to its original shape, causing it to move and exert a force.

2. What are the different types of springs?

There are several types of springs, including coil springs, leaf springs, torsion springs, and gas springs. Each type has its own unique design and function.

3. What are some common applications of springs?

Springs are commonly used in various industries for shock absorption, storing energy, and providing tension or support. They can be found in products such as mattresses, cars, watches, and toys.

4. How do I choose the right spring for my project?

The right spring for your project will depend on factors such as the amount of force needed, the amount of space available, and the type of environment it will be used in. It is important to consult with a professional or do thorough research to determine the best spring for your specific needs.

5. How can I maintain and prolong the lifespan of my springs?

Regularly inspecting and cleaning your springs can help maintain their performance and longevity. It is also important to not overload or over-compress the springs, and replace them if they show signs of wear or damage.