Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need some help with a gas flow problem

1. Mar 17, 2014 #1
    I have a steel box that I am trying to purge with gaseous nitrogen (GN2). Just say the dimensions are A x B x C (ft^3). I would like to maintain a continuous purge at a very minimal pressure (~0.5 inH20). To conserve money (i.e. so that I don't need to purchase an expensive flow regulation device), I am simply looking to tie into an already-existent GN2 supply line nearby (to get my flow in) and then add a vent line to get my flow out. The net flow should maintain a very low positive pressure inside the panel. The supply line is pressurized to 100 psi, so I'd need to add an orifice to prevent overpressure. My question is: how can I size my vent and orifice to ensure that my box remains at my requirements (positive low pressure purge)? Do I need a low pressure check valve? Will the outlet diameter or the inlet diameter need to be larger (or does it not matter)?

Thanks for the help!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted