Need some help with a gas flow problem

In summary, to maintain a continuous purge at a very minimal pressure in your steel box using gaseous nitrogen, you'll need to size the vent and orifice based on the dimensions of the box, desired pressure, and gas properties, and may also need a low pressure check valve.
steves1080
I have a steel box that I am trying to purge with gaseous nitrogen (GN2). Just say the dimensions are A x B x C (ft^3). I would like to maintain a continuous purge at a very minimal pressure (~0.5 inH20). To conserve money (i.e. so that I don't need to purchase an expensive flow regulation device), I am simply looking to tie into an already-existent GN2 supply line nearby (to get my flow in) and then add a vent line to get my flow out. The net flow should maintain a very low positive pressure inside the panel. The supply line is pressurized to 100 psi, so I'd need to add an orifice to prevent overpressure. My question is: how can I size my vent and orifice to ensure that my box remains at my requirements (positive low pressure purge)? Do I need a low pressure check valve? Will the outlet diameter or the inlet diameter need to be larger (or does it not matter)?

Thanks for the help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
To size the vent and orifice to maintain a positive low pressure purge in the box, you'll need to take into account the dimensions of the box (A x B x C), the desired pressure (0.5 inH2O), the flow rate of the GN2 supply line (100 psi), and the gas properties of nitrogen. You can then use Bernoulli's equation to calculate the required flow rate and size the orifice, vent, and check valve accordingly. A low pressure check valve may be necessary to maintain the desired pressure within the box. Generally, the inlet diameter needs to be larger than the outlet diameter to ensure the proper flow rate.

1. What is a gas flow problem?

A gas flow problem refers to a situation in which the flow of gas is not behaving as expected, whether in terms of direction, velocity, pressure, or other properties.

2. How can I solve a gas flow problem?

The best approach to solving a gas flow problem depends on the specific situation and the underlying causes. It typically involves analyzing the factors affecting the gas flow, such as the gas properties, the geometry of the system, and the forces at play. Mathematical equations and computer simulations are commonly used to find a solution.

3. What are some common causes of gas flow problems?

Gas flow problems can have various causes, including leaks, blockages, changes in temperature or pressure, and incorrect calculations or assumptions. These can be caused by equipment malfunctions, design flaws, human error, or external factors such as weather conditions.

4. How can I prevent gas flow problems?

To prevent gas flow problems, it is crucial to have a thorough understanding of the gas system and its components. Regular maintenance, proper design and installation, and careful monitoring are some ways to prevent issues from arising. Additionally, following safety protocols and regulations can help minimize the risk of gas flow problems.

5. Can a gas flow problem be dangerous?

Yes, a gas flow problem can be dangerous, especially if it involves toxic or flammable gases. It can lead to accidents, explosions, or health hazards. It is essential to address gas flow problems promptly and safely to avoid any potential risks.