1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need some help with a proof (using the pigeon hole principle)

1. Nov 7, 2004 #1
    I got 6 problems that I needed to proove using the pigeon hole principle and I was able to solve 5 of them but this last one is giving me some problems.

In each convex polygon with 2*n vertices there is at least one diagonal that isn't parallel with either one of the sides of the polygon.

I would appreciate some help to point me in the right direction or maybe an example of a similar proof that uses the pigeon hole principle, thx in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2004 #2
    isn't this a Descrete Maths problem?

4. Nov 7, 2004 #3
    i'm obligated to use the pigeon hole principle, i can't use anything else (i'm not sure what you mean by 'discrete math', or did you mean that i posted this in the wrong forum?)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2004
  5. Nov 7, 2004 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How many diagonals are there? How many can be parallel to a side?

6. Nov 8, 2004 #5
    I'm trying to find a function that gives the number of diagonals in funtion of the number of vertices but i don't see a connection both of them

i looked it up and apparantly there is a formula for it, for a polygon with 2n vertices the number of diagonals is 2n*(2n-3)/2, i hope i'll be able to use this

Last edited: Nov 8, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?