Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Need some help with a proof (using the pigeon hole principle)

1. Nov 7, 2004 #1
    I got 6 problems that I needed to proove using the pigeon hole principle and I was able to solve 5 of them but this last one is giving me some problems.

In each convex polygon with 2*n vertices there is at least one diagonal that isn't parallel with either one of the sides of the polygon.

I would appreciate some help to point me in the right direction or maybe an example of a similar proof that uses the pigeon hole principle, thx in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2004 #2
    isn't this a Descrete Maths problem?

4. Nov 7, 2004 #3
    i'm obligated to use the pigeon hole principle, i can't use anything else (i'm not sure what you mean by 'discrete math', or did you mean that i posted this in the wrong forum?)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2004
  5. Nov 7, 2004 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How many diagonals are there? How many can be parallel to a side?

6. Nov 8, 2004 #5
    I'm trying to find a function that gives the number of diagonals in funtion of the number of vertices but i don't see a connection both of them

i looked it up and apparantly there is a formula for it, for a polygon with 2n vertices the number of diagonals is 2n*(2n-3)/2, i hope i'll be able to use this

Last edited: Nov 8, 2004
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook