Need some help with an integral.

• Thread starter 1MileCrash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the student is having trouble integrating a function and is looking for a way to do it using only sin and cos. He finds an answer that uses only sin and cos and posts it online, but is not sure if it is correct.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

[itex]\int x^{3}sin(2x) dx[/itex]

Relevant equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We are doing table integration - where I use a formula for integrals. I'm having trouble here because I keep getting new integrals through my work which don't seem to be leading anywhere.

[itex]-\frac{1}{2}x^{3}cos2x + \frac{1}{2}\int3x^{2}cos2xdx[/itex]

I can solve that integral with integration by parts or using that same formula, am I going down the correct path for this?

Physics news on Phys.org
1MileCrash said:

Homework Statement

Relevant equations

We are doing table integration - where I use a formula for integrals. I'm having trouble here because I keep getting new integrals through my work which don't seem to be leading anywhere.

I can solve that integral with integration by parts or using that same formula, am I going down the correct path for this?

This integral is solvable with integration by parts. Notice that you started with x^3 and after your first integration you have x^2. So just keep integrating!

1MileCrash said:

Homework Statement

Relevant equations

Actually, you are getting somewhere. Notice that the new integral has a smaller power of x (x2). At your next step, you should get that down to x, and then one more step will result in an integral that involves only sin(2x) or cos(2x).
1MileCrash said:

Since this integral involves [itex]x^3[/itex] and integration by parts (taking [itex]u= x^n[/itex] each time) reduces the power of x by 1, you need to do three consecutive integrations by parts to get to a integral of a trig function only.

Alright guys, I see what you're saying. However, while the process does eventually lead me to a final expression without integrals, it doesn't seem to be correct.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/689/integral.png/

That's a link to the work I did.. I didn't think itexing all of that would be feasible. Hopefully it's legible.

I got the same answer you did. Perhaps it is a case of equivalent answers, where your answer could be re-arranged to match the given answer. If you post what the answer should be I can check for equivalence on my calculator very easily.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the accumulation of smaller quantities over a given interval. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to find the area under a curve, the volume of a solid, and other important quantities in mathematics and science.

2. Why do we need to use integrals?

Integrals are useful for solving many real-world problems, such as finding the distance traveled by an object, the amount of work done by a force, or the net change in a quantity over time. They also allow us to calculate important quantities in physics, engineering, and other fields.

3. How do you solve an integral?

There are several techniques for solving integrals, including using the fundamental theorem of calculus, substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitutions. It is important to understand the properties and rules of integrals, as well as practice solving a variety of problems, to become proficient in solving integrals.

4. Can integrals be used for both continuous and discrete functions?

While integrals are commonly used for continuous functions, they can also be used for discrete functions. In this case, the integral represents the sum of the function values over a given interval, rather than the area under a curve. This allows us to use integrals to solve problems involving discrete data, such as counting and probability.

5. Are there any real-life applications of integrals?

Integrals have countless real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They can be used to calculate the work done by a force, the amount of material needed to construct a structure, or the growth rate of a population. They are also essential for understanding concepts like velocity, acceleration, and rate of change in everyday situations.