1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need some help with an integral.

1. Sep 17, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[itex]\int x^{3}sin(2x) dx[/itex]

Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

We are doing table integration - where I use a formula for integrals. I'm having trouble here because I keep getting new integrals through my work which don't seem to be leading anywhere.

[itex]\int x^{3}sin(2x) dx[/itex]

[itex]-\frac{1}{2}x^{3}cos2x + \frac{1}{2}\int3x^{2}cos2xdx[/itex]

I can solve that integral with integration by parts or using that same formula, am I going down the correct path for this?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2011 #2
    This integral is solvable with integration by parts. Notice that you started with x^3 and after your first integration you have x^2. So just keep integrating!

4. Sep 17, 2011 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Actually, you are getting somewhere. Notice that the new integral has a smaller power of x (x2). At your next step, you should get that down to x, and then one more step will result in an integral that involves only sin(2x) or cos(2x).

5. Sep 17, 2011 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since this integral involves [itex]x^3[/itex] and integration by parts (taking [itex]u= x^n[/itex] each time) reduces the power of x by 1, you need to do three consecutive integrations by parts to get to a integral of a trig function only.

6. Sep 17, 2011 #5
    Alright guys, I see what you're saying. However, while the process does eventually lead me to a final expression without integrals, it doesn't seem to be correct.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/689/integral.png/

That's a link to the work I did.. I didn't think itexing all of that would be feasible. Hopefully it's legible.

7. Sep 17, 2011 #6
    I got the same answer you did. Perhaps it is a case of equivalent answers, where your answer could be re-arranged to match the given answer. If you post what the answer should be I can check for equivalence on my calculator very easily.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook