Need some help with asking a girl out

• Thread starter binzing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Girl
In summary, I think W is great, and if she were to ever break up with her bf, I would be the first in line to ask her out.
binzing
Hey all. I need some help with asking a girl out, who I think might already have a boyfriend, but I'm not at all sure of that fact. Anyways, we have one class together and she's really cool. Smart, pretty, and of similar personality to me. We've gotten to each other pretty well. Any suggestions?Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
binzing said:
Any suggestions?

I'd start off by talking to her and finding a way to casually bring up the subject of boyfriends/girlfriends to determine if she really does have a boyfriend and whether that's a good relationship. No point spinning your wheels on her if she's in a happy relationship already.

Ask her if she would like to go to a movie (or something similar) this coming weekend. If she says that she's busy, or that she has a boyfriend, don't act disappointed. Any apparent disappointment can make her feel uncomfortable, and cause your friendship to wan.

KK, easier said than done though, but thanks.

Darn, I figured Cyrus or Evo would have some witty suggestion(s).

Stalk her down on either myspace or facebook and look to see if she has a bf or if she "is in a relationship." Yeah it sounds psychopathic, but it is effective.

binzing said:
Hey all. I need some help with asking a girl out, who I think might already have a boyfriend, but I'm not at all sure of that fact. Anyways, we have one class together and she's really cool. Smart, pretty, and of similar personality to me. We've gotten to each other pretty well. Any suggestions?Thanks

I don't usually offer dating advice but I've recently (like over the last year) made some pretty vast strides in this area of my life:

Don't assume that she's worth your time - approach it as if you're trying to see whether or not she's worth YOUR time (that doesn't mean be an a-hole).

The truth is whether or not she has a boyfriend is irrelevant - attraction will (or won't) happen regardless.

As far as asking her out.. I would maybe casually mention that some friends are having a party, and then later in the conversation ask if she wanted to come... don't ask her out on a "date"... too much pressure. keep it casual.

Given my past relationships, I would recommend that you pay close attention to what Moonbear or Evo tell you. I've only been on it from the stupid (male) side...

binzing said:
We've gotten to each other pretty well.
Does one mean "We've gotten to know each other pretty well"?

Actually if it was me, I'd ask her if she had a boyfriend or if she was seeing someone, and if not I'd ask her out.

I think back in high school and university, about half the time, the girl would ask me out, which I preferred.

One of my biggest regrets in high school was not asking a girl from my history class to my senior prom. She sat right behind me, and when I finally asked her, she had already accepted a date from another guy. Apparently she was disappointed that I handn't asked her first. :rolleyes:

Oh, yes Astro, that was a typo. Yeah, we left class yesterday together and talked/walked for quite a ways before we had to split to ou respective classes. I walked without thinking to say "goodbye" and now I even feel bad about that.
Grave- I've already done that and added her, we talk pretty often via Myspace. Her site says "in a relationship" but those things don't always get updated. Anyways, I think I found the bloke (her bf) after a bulletin she posted. Thanks all.

Who cares if she has a boyfriend?

LOL, what exactly are you suggesting then?

That it don't mean squat if she has a boyfriend. If she likes you she will ditch him and stick with you stud muffin. Thats what I am suggesting. Unless he's your friend, what do you care about that guy?

I strongly suspect that Astro is of the same mind as me on this. We both had possibilities that we missed out on... but neither of us would be the people that we are, with the women who really make us complete, had those possibilities not been missed out on.
If someone ever asks me if I could change anything about my past, I would have to say 'no'. I've done some things that hurt others, and I'm ashamed of, but I would probably be a far worse person had I not learned from that. Despite her having to stalk me into submission over the course of a couple of months, W is the best thing that has ever happened to me in my life. The only time in my life that I was happy was when I was in the air... and then I got grounded on a medical issue about 35 years ago. Now, I'm happy again. I'm really glad that none of those 'exes' worked out. (And they're all still friends... bonus...)

Last edited:
He's not my friend, I don't know him, thankfully. I guess I'll just keep it up and try to get on her (even) better side.

Unless she says, 'im not interested I am seeing someone', treat it as if she does not have a boyfriend. (or some random guy comes up to you and pounds your head in :rofl:)

Danger, I think you should get the award of "Funniest Member of PF"

Just be careful. I don't know where you live, but in some social situations you could end up with a muzzle imprint on your lips. I'm not trying to be scary here, but the reality is that it might not be a safe situatiion. Watch your back.

edit: Sorry, I posted before reading your last entry. I definitely think that you have the potential to be the funniest member, but this thread isn't the appropriate place to apply.

Last edited:
"Muzzle imprint" are you saying I might get a fist to the mouth, or the opposite?

If some guy says 'thats my girlfriend bla bla bla', just tell him the truth. I am sorry, I wasnt aware because she didnt mention she was in a relationship. If she wants to walk down that road its her problem with him, not yours. Her BF doesn't own her, and has no right to control who she hangs out with.

Last edited:
Danger-I "got" your comment shortly after posting my response. Although I live in New Mexico (and not the nice, liberal Taos or Santa Fe areas) her BF is into drama and acting, so...yeah.

binzing said:
Oh, yes Astro, that was a typo. Yeah, we left class yesterday together and talked/walked for quite a ways before we had to split to ou respective classes. I walked without thinking to say "goodbye" and now I even feel bad about that.
Grave- I've already done that and added her, we talk pretty often via Myspace. Her site says "in a relationship" but those things don't always get updated. Anyways, I think I found the bloke (her bf) after a bulletin she posted. Thanks all.
Still, you could ask her if she is in a relationship, or simply ask her out for a casual date.

The only time I really flirted with a woman was one I kept encountering while working on campus during my second year of university. I'd just say hi and exchange a few comments with her for several weeks. Once I discovered where she worked, I dropped into her office and asked her out. It was toward the end of the summer, and I was just starting my third year at uni, when we started dating. After a few weeks of lunches, or brief encounters, we went to a Yes concert. I had the best time of my life up to that point, and we went back to her place.

We were sitting talking, and she sat down on a sofa across the room from the one I as sitting on. She then said she had something to tell me. I thought, "Oh, nuts, she's got another guy". Then she told me she was married! And then said she hoped I wasn't mad or upset. All I could do was laugh, and I told her that I wasn't mad or angry (I wasn't).

It had occurred to me that since she was very attractive, she might have been seeing other men. I told her that I really enjoyed the concert with her and the time we had spent together up to that point. So we spent another couple of hours talking about where things were with her and what might happen in the future.

Her husband had been busted and was spending time in prison (then 2 years of a 5 year term). She had planned to wait for him to get out and see if the marriage would survive. I respected that, and I told her that I wasn't looking around, and that I'd wait to see how things would work out. And I waited for 2.5 years.

Then I met the woman I married.

Danger- I didn't understand that edit, or was that a mod imposed one?
Anyways, yeah. Morp week is this week, if any of you know what that is, so I'm hoping for her to say something on that account.

binzing said:
Danger- I didn't understand that edit, or was that a mod imposed one?

I was, in fact, surprised when I just reviewed this thread. The post that I edited to respond to was you asking if I thought that you had a shot at funniest member. Now that your post has been altered (or I totally read it wrongly the first time), my response doesn't make a lot of sense. Regardless... keep 'em grinning.

I was saying that you (Danger) had the shot, by far. Even your signature points to it.

binzing said:
Even your signature points to it.

Yeah... just make sure that if you're going to drive iron birds, your friends have really big back yards...

As well as your profile pic, I love it! Ha Ha

binzing said:
As well as your profile pic, I love it! Ha Ha

Thanks. That actually is me. Couple of years back, on Hallowe'en.
And my left eye is wonky because I had too much adhesive on the latex appliance at that point.

Last edited:
What draws you to her? I suspect her having a bf has something to do with it.

If it does, does that imply anything about how you'll turn out to be with her after you "win" her?

Last edited:
What draws me to her...Let's see. Her personality, the way she acts/talks, her looks, damn near everything about her. If I "won" her, I'd treat her like a queen. She's great

Define, treat her as a queen.

As in, not be an ass. Open doors for her. Go with her even if I don't really want to. Etc.

I mean, much more than just that in the last post, but yeah, you should get the pic.

Nice guys finish last. Open doors, and don't be an ass, all the time, but give her a hard time once in a while. Dont go anywhere you don't want to with her, your not her slave. Try this on for size, she should treat you like a king. The more you strive for her attention, the less and less of it she will give to you over time. Dont treat her any different than you normally would a friend.

Well yeah. I didn't say "be a pushover" in any of my threads did I?