Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need some help with basic complex variables (no proofs)

1. Feb 17, 2005 #1
    need some urgent help with basic complex variables (no proofs)

Hi:
    can someone give me examples of the following? (no proofs needed)

1. a non-zero complex number z such that Arg(z^2) "not equal to" 2 Arg z
    2. a region in C which is not a domain
    3. a non-empty subset of C which has no accumulation points
    4. a continuous function f: C -> C which is not differentiable anywhere
    5. an entire function which is not a polynomial.

thanks a lot in advance!!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2005 #2
    Arg z is defined to be the angle between -pi and pi which is equivalent to the actual argument of z. So if [tex]z=e^{i\pi}\implies z^2=e^{2i\pi}[/tex] then Arg z = arg z = pi, but arg z² = 2pi so Arg z² = 0.

If I recall correctly a domain has to be connected, so something like [tex]\left\{z\in\mathbb{C}:|z-2|<1\right\}\cup\left\{z\in\mathbb{C}:|z+2|<1\right\}[/tex] (two discs of radius 1 centred at 2 and -2 on the real axis) would qualify.

I think an accumulation point only makes sense with respect to a sequence... Off the top of my head I can't think of a set on which no sequence could have an accumulation point, since there is always the possibility of a constant sequence. I could be wrong though...

Technically f(z)=Re(z) qualifies, although it is only onto [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex], not [tex]\mathbb{C}[/tex]. But since [tex]\mathbb{R}\subset\mathbb{C}[/tex] it can be thought of as a function f:C->C which is just not surjective.

I'm pretty sure that [tex]e^z[/tex] is entire.

4. Feb 17, 2005 #3
    wow thank you!
    i still have no idea how to do the accumulation one. i looked up the definition of accumulation point and it says:
    A point z0 is said to be an accumulation point of a set S if each deleted neighborhood of z0 contains at least one point of S
    i'm not sure if i understand that... any ideas?

5. Feb 17, 2005 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A z is an accumulation point of S if every open disc centred on z contains some element of S. Every point of S is an accumulation point of S. S is closed if it contains all its accumulation points

6. Feb 17, 2005 #5

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

nocheesie has a different definition- the 'deleted disc' part is important or the question is false.

Equivalent definition (worth proving equivalence if you want a better handle on accumulation points): z is an accumulation point of S if and only if there is a sequence in S minus z that converges to z.

I can't think of a good hint without giving it away, think very simple sets.

7. Feb 17, 2005 #6

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So it corrects to "contains some element of S distinct from z".

8. Feb 17, 2005 #7
    so would the set of say, {1} work? i don't know if i'm understanding this correctly... if you have {1} then there would be no accumulation points right? since there's only 1 itself?

9. Feb 17, 2005 #8

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Any disc centred on 1, would not contain any of the other points of S, since there is none. And if z is any other point not equal to 1, then |z-1| is strictly positive, say it equals r. Then the disc of radius r/2 about z does not contain 1 (the only point in S) so it is not an accumulation point of S. Thus S has no accumulation points. Is that what you were thinking?

10. Feb 17, 2005 #9
    Yes!! that's what i was thinking =) since there's only 1 then it can't have any points in the set other than 1, thus no accumulation points! i think i'm finally getting this... thanks everyone very very much!!

11. Feb 17, 2005 #10

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?