Need some help with Discrete math

In summary, the conversation is about using induction to prove a mathematical statement. The person asking for help has already attempted the basis step and is now struggling with the induction step. They explain their approach using formulas and the other person points out that using the hypothesis in the proof is not allowed. They suggest starting with a supposition and using that to prove the statement for n. The conversation ends with the suggestion to follow the structure of an induction argument as outlined in a textbook.
phenom01

Homework Statement

20za978.png

Homework Equations

I need to prove this by using induction. I need help with the induction step.

The Attempt at a Solution

Basis step: let n=0; 2^0 = 2^(0+1) - 1 -----> 1=1

Physics news on Phys.org
So, what did you try for the induction step?

micromass said:
So, what did you try for the induction step?

i tried sum(2^k+1) = 2^n+1 + sum(2^k)

sum(2^k) = (2^n+1) -1 by our inductive hypothesis

(2^n+1)-1 + 2^n+1

2^n+1 + 2^n+1 = 2^n+2 which gives (2^n+2)-1

I think this is wrong

phenom01 said:
i tried sum(2^k+1) = 2^n+1 + sum(2^k)

sum(2^k) = (2^n+1) -1 by our inductive hypothesis

You can't use what you're trying to prove inside your proof.

Try starting out let this: suppose God has told you that the hypothesis holds for n-1. Based off this assumption, can you prove that it also holds for n?

That's your induction step.

It's not exactly wrong in fact you seem to have got more or less the right result, but you have set out a series of formulas and math is not a series of formulas, even when they're the right formulas, it's an argument.

Once you start the formulas you haven't mentioned sum and k any more.

Look up in your textbook how an induction argument is set out and do it the same way rather rigidly and it should work (the algebraic formula calculation part of it is quite simple).

1. What is discrete math?

Discrete math is a branch of mathematics that deals with discrete objects and structures, such as integers, graphs, and logical statements. It is often used to solve real-world problems involving discrete quantities.

2. What are some common applications of discrete math?

Discrete math has a wide range of applications in various fields, including computer science, engineering, and finance. Some common applications include cryptography, network optimization, and data analysis.

3. What topics are typically covered in a discrete math course?

A typical discrete math course covers topics such as set theory, logic, combinatorics, graph theory, and probability. It may also include topics such as algorithms, recursion, and proof techniques.

4. How can I improve my understanding of discrete math?

One way to improve your understanding of discrete math is to practice solving problems and working through proofs. It can also be helpful to study with a group or seek out online resources and tutorials.

5. Why is discrete math important?

Discrete math is important because it provides the foundation for many other branches of mathematics and has a wide range of practical applications. It also helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are valuable in many fields.