Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need some help with dressing for an interview

1. Dec 9, 2011 #1
    Not sure if I'm on the right site for fashion advice, but here it goes:

I submitted an application for an academic program, and the second part (woot! i made it past round 1) involves an interview.

Now, right now I'm planning on black dress shoes, black dress pants, black leather belt , blue button up with the top button undone, and white undershirt. I have short brown hair.

I really have no idea though.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2011 #2
    Don't listen to any replies that don't come from women.

4. Dec 9, 2011 #3
    Haha wasn't planning to. I know that there are some female users on here, hence the post.

5. Dec 9, 2011 #4

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I kind of thought, Hmm, when you described black with blue. I'm not saying it never works, but there are hues of blue that are OK with black, and some that aren't.

So...can you describe the blue?

(Btw, I try not to be sexist in my language or thinking, but describing colors is one area that there is a large and consistent difference between men and women!)

6. Dec 9, 2011 #5
    Hi f(x), seems that you're making a slow comeback to PF. That's good. :approve: Now maybe send a pm to Cyrus or mail him. He is definitely the expert here.

7. Dec 9, 2011 #6
    Thanks! I've been getting used to college and being on a demanding sports team (2 firsts).

8. Dec 9, 2011 #7
    It's blue...

Yes...that would be me wearing the aforementioned shirt.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  9. Dec 9, 2011 #8
    Quode Erat Demonstratum

10. Dec 9, 2011 #9
    Ah, nice sky blue with a very, very slight greenish hue. Black wont hurt but it may draw attention unintentionally. Nice and correct dark blue jeans could go well with that and certainly brownish, if that happens to be in your closet.

I wouldn't worry too much. It'll be fine.

Still, try to get a hold of Cyrus.

11. Dec 9, 2011 #10

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK, I think that blue is fine with black.

Navy blue - not so much.

12. Dec 9, 2011 #11
    Suit, dress shirt, tie, and shoes. Even if you will never wear such attire on the job. It shows respect.

13. Dec 9, 2011 #12

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Agree, at least throw a nice blazer over that shirt if you don't own a suit. Never wear jeans to a job interview unless it's a blue collar job, or they specifically tell you to wear jeans.

14. Dec 9, 2011 #13
    This isn't quite as formal, which is the part that was puzzling me.

15. Dec 9, 2011 #14

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Then go with the blazer. It's casual, yet looks nice. I don't care if you can wear wear shorts and a t-shirt to work after you're hired, you want to show respect. I have been in a position to make hiring deicisions, or at least give input and someone nicely dressed always gets points. Sounds like "business casual" is the look you're aiming for, but wear a blazer, you can always remove it.

http://jobsearch.about.com/od/interviewsnetworking/a/dressforsuccess.htm

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  16. Dec 9, 2011 #15
    Good point about being able to remove it. I have a black and a navy blue one at home.

17. Dec 9, 2011 #16
    I think it makes a difference where in the country you are interviewing and for what type of job. Even when I interviewed in Mexico I went to the interview in a suit but I realize businesses have gotten more casual. There are probably even a few companies where you could go in a black turtleneck and jeans.

18. Dec 10, 2011 #17

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Except for in Alaska, where the dress code is Carhartts and Parkas; it really helps to talk about that time you had to kill a starving black bear with your bare hands to defend yourself or at least mention a commercial fishing adventure or two. Then you get sent to Antarctica for field work and there's way less competition there, so your continental career is off to a good start.

19. Dec 10, 2011 #18

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

True that, local culture should be considered.

When I lived in Alaska, I went to a wedding. Several women wore jeans...under their dresses. Never saw that before -- or since.

20. Dec 10, 2011 #19

Pythagorean

Gold Member

I once visited a German friend of mine with my family and during conversation she was like "and so I chainsawed some trees down" and me and my babies mama just nodded, waiting for the rest of the story and the German paused as if waiting for a reaction.

Finally she was like "well, that's unheard of in my country! a woman chainsawing!" We were like "oooh, I see." It's interesting because I always imagine Germany as being really progressive nowadays, but maybe that's just scientifically, not socially (unless you're part of the death metal underground, of course... then you probably find women chainsawing goats in sacrifice or something).

21. Dec 11, 2011 #20
    Think I'll be wearing navy pants, light blue shirt (see pic), and a navy blue blazer. Haven't decided on if I'll wear a tie or what color it will be.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook