1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need some help with linear dielectrics

1. Nov 17, 2005 #1
    Here's the problem:

http://img41.imageshack.us/my.php?image=efield3od.png

Can anyone give me a push in the right direction? I'm really stuck on two things - how does the cavity affect the problem (the hint doesn't really help me), and what does the geometry of the problem (since i'm giving 3 shapes) have to do with it?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2005 #2

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let me discuss the spherical case and hopefully then you can generalize. The hint says that you can replace the spherical cavity with an oppositely polarized spherical object superimposed on the original dielectric. Now, what is the field inside a uniformly polarized sphere? With this information, you can use superposition to find the complete field at the center of the sphere. One more word of caution, make sure you still satisfy that dielectric boundary conditions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?