1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need some help with math

1. Feb 19, 2005 #1
    A sequence [tex]t_{1}[/tex],[tex]t_{2}[/tex],...[tex]t_{n},...[/tex] is defined as follows:

[tex]t_{1}=14[/tex]
    [tex]t_{k}=24-5t_{k-1}[/tex] for each k <= 2

For every positive integer [tex]n[/tex], [tex]t_{n}[/tex] can be expressed as [tex]t_{n}=p*q^n+r[/tex] where p, q and r are constants. The value of p, q and r is?

I found out [tex]t2=-46[/tex] and [tex]t3=254[/tex] and wrote out

[tex]14=p*q+r\\[/tex]
    [tex]-46=p*q^2+r\\[/tex]
    [tex]254=p*q^3+r[/tex]

I don't know what to do from here... is what I did so far even correct? TiA.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2005 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

First of all, the recurrence relation ought to be:
    [tex]t_{k}=24-5t_{k-1},k>=2[/tex]
    Now, for arbitrary k, you have been given:
    [tex]t_{k}=pq^{k}+r,t_{k-1}=pq^{k-1}+r[/tex]
    Put this into the recurrence relation, and rearrange a bit:
    [tex](q+5)pq^{k-1}=24-6r[/tex]
    This equality must hold for EVERY k>=2. What does that suggest to you?

4. Feb 19, 2005 #3
    I don't really get what's happening...

5. Feb 19, 2005 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, the first thing that happened is that you had a "misprint". You had written "for each k<= 2" when you clearly meant "for each k>= 2". That was what arildno was talking about.

THEN his point was that, if you know tn= p qn+ r, you can put that into the recursion formula. Replacing n by n-1 gives tn-1= p qn-1+ r so the recursion formula says p qn+ r= 24-5(p qn-1+ r). That equation is true for all n and has 3 unknown numbers in it so you can evaluate it for 3 values of n (2, 3, 4 will do) to get 3 equations for those 3 unknowns.
    That's exactly what you did so, yes, what you have done so far is correct.

Now, to solve those equations:

An obvious thing to do is subtract the first equation from the second so that you get
    60= pq- pq2=pq(1-q).

Subtract the second equation from the third to get 300= pq3- pq2= pq2(1-q).

Now, from the first equation, p= 60/(q(1-q)) so the second equation is
    300= 60 (q2(1-q))/(q(1-q)). That is, 300= 60 q or q= 5.
    Now work back to solve for p and r.

6. Feb 19, 2005 #5
    I got it... thanks for your help!

...but now I have another question that I'm stuck on. I can't even begin to do anything because I have no idea how to find out the answer... so some hints or something would be appreciated.

A circle that has a radius of 3 is tangent to both the positive x-axis and the positive y-axis. Another circle with a radius of 1 is tangent to the bigger circle and to the positive x-axis. There is a line tangent to both circles. Where does this line cross the y-axis?

I had to change the question around a bit... there's a picture associated that makes it eaiser to imagine but its not that hard to draw out.... and the line isn't the x-axis!

7. Feb 20, 2005 #6

xanthym

Science Advisor

Refer to the following diagram:
    http://img110.exs.cx/img110/7287/tangentcircles4lh.jpg
    From the RED Right-Triangle construct, determine the coordinates of Points A, B, C, and D. The equation of Line AC through points A and C can then be found, and thus the equation of Line ED through Point E and Normal to Line AC at Point D can be determined. The Y-intercept of Line ED is the solution to your problem.

8. Feb 21, 2005 #7
    Thanks for the help... I have another (simple) question: How do I evaluate (3^2000+3^-2000)^2-(3^2000-3^-2000)^2

9. Feb 22, 2005 #8

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Better to put different questions into different threads.

For the last one, use [tex]a^2 - b^2 = (a+b)(a-b)[/tex] and see what you get.

10. Feb 22, 2005 #9
    Ill do that in the future... I just dont know how to simplify (do I even simplify?) something like 3^2000+3^2000...

this is the solution... but I don't understand where 2.3 came from and how it becomes 4.3, etc...

[​IMG]

11. Feb 22, 2005 #10

xanthym

Science Advisor

{2.32000} should be interpreted {2*32000}
    {4.30} should be interpreted {4*30}

~~

Last edited: Feb 22, 2005
  12. Feb 22, 2005 #11
    wicked... it makes sense now =)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?