Need some help with piezoelectric plates

In summary: There are some videos on youtube that show you how to do this, but it's not an easy project. If you're feeling up for it, you might want to look into building your own generator. In summary, this project is not feasible because there is not enough energy harvested from Piezo footfalls to be of any use in charging a battery.
nar5i
I am doing my wrong project from school. Its basically a science fair but only for the students in the class. I came up with the idea to use piezoelectric plates to charge a capacitor that then charges one of those portable po charge a phone. I know I'm not the first one do this, but I do want to improve on the idea. I don't know much about pates charging capacitors except how both parts work and that its possible. Sadly there isn't a whole lot of guides on the internet or videos on youtube about this particular project. Yes there are lots of videos about the final project, but not the steps taken to get there.

The best video that i have found so far is this one, but if you watch it you can tell its not very descriptive:

Does anyone have any information that can help me out in actually building the circuit or the parts I need and how I should them together? Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
nar5i said:
I am doing my wrong project from school. Its basically a science fair but only for the students in the class. I came up with the idea to use piezoelectric plates to charge a capacitor that then charges one of those portable po charge a phone. I know I'm not the first one do this, but I do want to improve on the idea. I don't know much about pates charging capacitors except how both parts work and that its possible. Sadly there isn't a whole lot of guides on the internet or videos on youtube about this particular project. Yes there are lots of videos about the final project, but not the steps taken to get there.

The best video that i have found so far is this one, but if you watch it you can tell its not very descriptive:

Does anyone have any information that can help me out in actually building the circuit or the parts I need and how I should them together? Thanks.

Welcome to the PF.

This question gets asked fairly frequently here. I did a search on the word "Piezo" in the title of threads here in the EE forum, and got lots of hits. Please have a read through this hit list to get a feeling for your science fair idea:

https://www.physicsforums.com/search/2209657/?q=piezo&o=relevance&c[title_only]=1&c[node]=102

Unfortunately, there is just not enough energy harvested from Piezo footfalls to be of any use in charging a battery. You would do better to have more squishy soles that have some travel, and convert that motion into rotary motion to run small generators.

1. What are piezoelectric plates?

Piezoelectric plates are a type of material that can generate an electric charge when mechanical stress is applied, and can also change shape when an electric field is applied. They are commonly used in sensors, actuators, and energy harvesting devices.

2. How do piezoelectric plates work?

Piezoelectric plates work by utilizing the piezoelectric effect, which is the ability of certain materials to generate an electric charge when subjected to mechanical stress. This occurs due to the asymmetrical arrangement of atoms in the material, which causes a shift in the electric dipole moments when a force is applied. This results in the generation of an electric field and voltage across the material.

3. What are the applications of piezoelectric plates?

Piezoelectric plates have a wide range of applications, including but not limited to: pressure sensors, accelerometers, ultrasound transducers, energy harvesting devices, precision positioning systems, and even musical instruments such as electric guitars and microphones.

4. Can piezoelectric plates be used in harsh environments?

Yes, piezoelectric plates can be used in harsh environments due to their resilience and durability. They are able to withstand high temperatures, pressure, and corrosive substances, making them suitable for use in industrial and military settings.

5. How can I choose the right piezoelectric plate for my project?

The choice of piezoelectric plate will depend on factors such as the desired application, required sensitivity and durability, and budget constraints. It is important to consider the material, size, and shape of the plate, as well as its frequency and voltage range. Consulting with an expert or conducting research on different types of piezoelectric plates can help in making an informed decision.