Need some help with spring-mass-damper problem

• Thread starter foster182
  • Start date
In summary, adding a damper or additional spring to a system will cause it to settle at a steady state vibration level, while adding a different type of damping will result in the system reacting differently to the addition of a damper.
foster182
I know some people might find this a stupid question but

200px-Mass_spring_damper.jpg

What effect would the addition of

1)additional springs
2)additional dampers

have on vibration absorption properties?

In plain English please, I’m only learning :biggrin:

thanks guys

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forums foster182!

It is the policy of this forum that the poster has shown some attempt at doing the problem themselves. What do you think would happen in both the scenarios described?

well with the increase of a damper or additional spring it would absorb more vibration thus coming to a steady state. yes?

how would i derive an equation from that?

Well the addition of more springs (I assume they will be added in parallel from the diagram) will give the system an effective spring constant which is the sum of the spring constants of all the springs. What effect would that have on the system if the damping was kept the same?

sorry i should of made that more clear
200px-1.jpg

and with additional damper and spring

the system will react differantly when i add the damper and spring separate than together etc, but i don't know how to derive an expression from it.

Oh so that picture was of the new system. Got it. Well like I said before the spring constant will be the sum of the spring constants of the two springs. What effect will that have of the vibration of this system? Now its also damped, what do you know of damping of oscillations?

Consider a cars suspension and what it has to do to make the ride bearable.

o.k. i think i have it now,
so in the case of me adding the damper to the existing spring

200px-Mass_spring_damperG.jpg

net force applied to ( mass m= F - kx - cv )

then to model that ( m d2x/dt2 = F- kx - c dx/dt ) taken v as velocity

something like that?

sorry i don't know much about damping of oscillations? i will read up on it.

Yeah, you're almost there:

[tex] m\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}+c\frac{dx}{dt}+kx=0 [/tex]

is probably the standard form.

That of course does assume certain things about the damping force that means it can be approximated as linear.

yes it would be linear,
and if i was to add another spring

m d2x/dt2 + c dx/dt + kx(2) = F

if the two springs have the same resistance

yes?

if not?

Like I mentioned before the spring constants add together to give and effective spring constant.

[tex] m\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}+c\frac{dx}{dt}+(k_1+k_2)x=0 [/tex]

ah i see thank you!

1. What is a spring-mass-damper system?

A spring-mass-damper system is a mechanical system consisting of a mass attached to a spring and a damper. The spring provides a restoring force, the mass represents the object being moved, and the damper dissipates energy to prevent oscillations.

2. How do you calculate the natural frequency of a spring-mass-damper system?

The natural frequency of a spring-mass-damper system can be calculated using the equation: ω = √(k/m), where ω is the natural frequency, k is the spring constant, and m is the mass of the object.

3. How does the damping coefficient affect the behavior of a spring-mass-damper system?

The damping coefficient determines the amount of energy dissipated by the damper in the system. A higher damping coefficient will result in faster damping of oscillations and a quicker return to equilibrium, while a lower damping coefficient will result in more sustained oscillations.

4. Can you provide an example of a real-life application of a spring-mass-damper system?

A car suspension system is an example of a spring-mass-damper system. The springs provide a restoring force to support the weight of the car, the mass represents the car itself, and the shock absorbers act as dampers to dissipate energy and prevent excessive bouncing.

5. How can the behavior of a spring-mass-damper system be modified?

The behavior of a spring-mass-damper system can be modified by changing the values of the spring constant, mass, and damping coefficient. Additionally, adding or removing additional springs or dampers can also alter the behavior of the system.