Solving Soccer Ball Kinematics: Max Height & Vertical Velocity

• Thread starter zelda1850
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving a kicked soccer ball with an initial velocity of 25 meters per second at an angle of 40 degrees above the horizontal ground. The task is to calculate the magnitude of the vertical component of the ball's initial velocity, find the maximum height it reaches, and sketch its height from its initial position until it returns to level ground. The equations used are Viy sin 40 degrees for part A and dy = vy*t for part B. The student is confused about how to find the maximum height and requests help.
zelda1850
someone please help me with my homework !

Homework Statement

A kicked soccer ball has an initial velocity of 25 meters per second at an angle of 40 degrees above the horizontal level ground [neglect friction]

A)calculate the magnitude of the vertical component of the balls initial velocity

b) calculate the maximum height of the ball reaches above its initial speed

c) sketch the balls height from the its initial position at point p until it returns to level ground

Homework Equations

A) Viy sin 40 degrees

B) dy= vytrise is this the correct equation?

c) I am not sure how i can sketch it yet

The Attempt at a Solution

im confused with the 2nd problem how can i find maximum height if somoene can explain to me that wll help a lot ^-^

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
At the maximum height, the instantaneous vertical velocity of the ball must be zero.

so the vertical velocity is zero?

1. What is the concept of kinematics in relation to soccer ball?

Kinematics refers to the study of motion without considering the forces that cause the motion. In soccer, kinematics is used to analyze the movement of the ball and understand its trajectory, maximum height, and vertical velocity.

2. How is the maximum height of a soccer ball calculated?

The maximum height of a soccer ball can be calculated using the formula h = (v2sin2θ)/2g, where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of projection, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors affect the vertical velocity of a soccer ball?

The vertical velocity of a soccer ball is affected by the initial velocity, angle of projection, air resistance, and gravity. The initial velocity and angle of projection determine the initial vertical velocity, while air resistance and gravity act on the ball to change its velocity as it moves through the air.

4. Can the maximum height of a soccer ball be increased?

Yes, the maximum height of a soccer ball can be increased by increasing the initial velocity or the angle of projection. However, this also depends on other factors such as air resistance and the surface the ball is kicked on.

5. How can kinematics be applied to improve soccer ball performance?

Kinematics can be used to analyze the movement of a soccer ball and identify areas for improvement, such as the optimal angle and velocity for kicking the ball to achieve maximum height or distance. It can also be used to study the effects of different surfaces and environmental factors on the ball's motion. This information can then be used to train and improve the performance of players.