How Do You Calculate Earth's Age Using Half-Life Decay Law?

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving the decay of radioactive nuclei and using the general decay law to estimate the Earth's age. The problem involves the initial amounts of two isotopes (238U and 235U) and their respective half-life periods. The conversation also mentions equations and equations that can be used to solve the problem.
IceZero
Well, hi guys, I know I am new to this forum and all but I am having a mental block with one of my physics questions. My teacher gave me this "mind-buster" question, and I want to solve it. Can give me some help or hints on how to go about solving it. I don't need the answer to it, i just need hits or explanations.

Problem: To solve this problem you should remember the general decay law from high school calculus. The radioactive decat of nuclei is usually described quantitatively with the parameter T. Let us define the half-life ,T, as the time in which 1/2 of the particles decay. The natural uranium ore now consists of ç1=99.28% 238U and ç2=0.72% 235U. Half-life periods of 238U and 235U nuclei are correspondingly equal to T1=4.47*10^9 years and T2=0.70*10^9 years. Estimate the Earth's age assuming the amounts of two isotopes were equal at the moment of birth of our planet.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the initial number of atoms for each isotope is the same (which I think is what you're getting at), then:

since No = N/(e^-[lamb]t)

ln No = Ln N - [lamb]t

therefore ln N - [lamb]t (for U-235) = ln N - [lamb]t (for U-238)

Code:
Also, you have been told that:

100 * N(238)  = 99.28
-------------
N(235)+N(238)

And:

100 * N(235)  = 0.72
-------------
N(235)+N(238)
All of which means that with various re-arrangements and substitutions you should be able to find your answer.

1. What is the half-life decay law in physics?

The half-life decay law in physics states that the amount of radioactive material left after a certain period of time is equal to the initial amount multiplied by the fraction of material that remains after each half-life.

2. How is the half-life decay law used in nuclear physics?

The half-life decay law is used in nuclear physics to determine the rate at which a radioactive substance decays. This information is important for understanding the stability and behavior of atoms, as well as for applications in medicine and energy production.

3. What is the formula for calculating half-life decay?

The formula for calculating half-life decay is N = N0 * (1/2)t/t1/2, where N is the amount of radioactive material remaining after time t, N0 is the initial amount, and t1/2 is the half-life of the material.

4. How does the half-life decay law relate to exponential decay?

The half-life decay law is a specific case of exponential decay, where the decay rate is constant over time. In this case, the half-life is the time it takes for the amount of material to decrease by half. The relationship between the two is described by the formula N = N0 * e-kt, where k is a constant related to the half-life.

5. Can the half-life decay law be used to predict when a radioactive substance will completely decay?

No, the half-life decay law cannot be used to predict when a radioactive substance will completely decay. This is because the decay process is random and unpredictable, and the half-life only tells us the rate at which the substance will decay, not the exact time it will occur.