Find Solutions for Math Equations: Pretrig/Calc Review

• Thread starter kahi
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding solutions for various equations in a pretrig/calc review guide. The first equation, -3x=x^2-4, can be solved using the quadratic formula. The second equation, y^4-2y^2=-y^3, can be factored and has a double solution of y=0. The conversation also discusses solving equations involving logarithms, such as 2logx=log25 and lnx+ln(x+2)=4.
kahi
I am doing a pretrig/calc review guide and it is asking me to find all the solutions for each equation.

-3x=x^2-4

that is the first equation

y^4-2y^2=-y^3

is another one

any help on what I am supposed to do...I have completely forgotten and have left my book elsewhere

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first problem add 3x to both sides so you end up with x^2+3x-4=0 with that use the quadratic formula [-b+/-(b^2-4ac)^(1/2)]/2a

For the second one I would try moving it all to one side and factoring if you can.

kahi said:
I am doing a pretrig/calc review guide and it is asking me to find all the solutions for each equation.
-3x=x^2-4
that is the first equation
y^4-2y^2=-y^3
is another one
any help on what I am supposed to do...I have completely forgotten and have left my book elsewhere

The second has an immediate factorization;
[tex] y^{4}+y^{3}-2y^{2}=0\Rightarrow y^{2}(y^{2}+y-2)=0 [/tex]
,which has a double solution y=0 and the other 2 are found by solving the quadratic
[tex] y^{2}+y-2=0 [/tex]

Daniel.

PS.And the first eq.factors as well:(x-3)(x-1)=0.

Factoring hurts my brain...

ok that's what I thought ...but I am unsure with

2x^5=32x^3

and then the log stuff like

2logx=log25 I think this one is (2log5)?

or

lnx+ln(x+2)=4

2x^3(16-x^2)=0
2x^3(4+x)(4-x)=0 difference of squares
x={0,0,0,4,-4}

I think.

kahi said:
ok that's what I thought ...but I am unsure with
2x^5=32x^3
and then the log stuff like
2logx=log25 I think this one is (2log5)?
or
lnx+ln(x+2)=4

[tex] 2 \lg x =\lg25\Rightarrow 2\lg x=2\lg5\Rightarrow x=5 [/tex]
[tex] \ln x+ \ln(x+2) =4\Rightarrow \ln[x(x+2)]=4\Rightarrow x(x+2)=e^{4} [/tex]
,which is a second order algebraic equation which can be solved.

Daniel.

Last edited:

1. How can I solve a math equation?

To solve a math equation, you need to first understand the problem and identify the variables involved. Then, use mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to manipulate the equation and isolate the variable you are solving for. Finally, check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation to ensure it is correct.

2. What is the order of operations for solving equations?

The order of operations for solving equations is PEMDAS, which stands for Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division (from left to right), and Addition and Subtraction (from left to right). This means that you should first simplify any expressions within parentheses, then solve any exponents, followed by multiplication and division, and finally addition and subtraction.

3. How do I solve equations with multiple variables?

To solve equations with multiple variables, you can use the same steps as solving a single variable equation. However, you may need to use additional equations or substitution to eliminate one variable and solve for the remaining one. You can also use graphing or matrices to solve systems of equations with multiple variables.

4. What is the difference between linear and quadratic equations?

Linear equations have one variable and can be written in the form of y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept. Quadratic equations have a variable raised to the second power and can be written in the form of y = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants. The graph of a linear equation is a straight line, while the graph of a quadratic equation is a parabola.

5. How can I check my answer to a math equation?

To check your answer to a math equation, you can plug your solution back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. Another way is to use a calculator or online equation solver to check your answer. You can also solve the equation using a different method to see if you get the same result.