Need Some Metal Sheet Advice

In summary: Just be sure not to exceed 90 degrees of bend, or you'll risk breaking the metal.In summary, an annealed aluminum sheet will work fine, and it will be reasonably easy to bend by hand. Just be sure not to exceed 90 degrees of bend, or you'll risk breaking the metal.
Shelnutt2
I am working on a project, all details can be found http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=680115" is the catalog page with the options. I've googled about annealed and "dead soft" however I still can't tell exactly how soft/flexible it is. All I need it to support is water running. I also know the aluminum isn't the best for bending but I've read that at such thin pieces I should be able to get one bend out of it.

Also perhaps there is a better metal to use in this case? I'd like to keep it cheap, but if there is something else around the price of the aluminum then its good.

BOX Design.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Is there a recycling facility near you? If so, you might be able to scavenge some sheet metal from an old washing machine, freezer, fridge, etc. You don't need a sheet-metal brake to bend the sheet metal if you can keep the bend under 90 degrees. Just mark the metal with a sharpie, tuck it under a tight-fitting door, and bend it up to the door.

That's about as cheap as you can get. Note that the thermal conductivity of enameled sheet-steel is not going to be as good as either copper or aluminum. At a the salvage/recycle yard you might get lucky and find usable aluminum sheet (perhaps from storm doors), but you'll have no such luck with copper. It's so expensive right now that people are breaking into storage rooms at electrical sub-stations and stealing copper wire.

You probably want to shoot for .050" thick or so if you have to buy it. Much thinner and it won't hold any sort of shape unless supported. Much thicker and it'll be hard to bend.

http://www.engineersedge.com/gauge.htm" annealed aluminum will work fine, and it will be reasonably easy to bend by hand. (Clamp it between a pair of 2x4 or angle-iron and using another piece, push close to the clamped edge and it should fold pretty cleanly.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you for reaching out for advice on your project. After reviewing the catalog page and your concerns about the flexibility of the metal sheet, I would recommend using a type of aluminum called 3003. This type is commonly used for sheet metal applications and is known for its good formability and flexibility. It is also relatively inexpensive and should fit within your budget.

In terms of the bending process, I would suggest using a bending brake or jig to ensure a precise and consistent bend in the sheet. Additionally, you may want to consider annealing the metal before bending to make it more malleable and easier to work with.

Other options for materials could include galvanized steel or stainless steel, but they may be more expensive than aluminum. It ultimately depends on your budget and the specific needs of your project.

I hope this advice helps and I wish you success in your project. Please feel free to reach out with any further questions or concerns.

1. What type of metal sheet should I use for my project?

The type of metal sheet you should use depends on the specific needs of your project. Some factors to consider include the desired strength, durability, corrosion resistance, and appearance. It is best to consult with a metal expert to determine the most suitable type of metal for your project.

2. How do I determine the thickness of the metal sheet I need?

The thickness of the metal sheet you need will depend on the intended use and load-bearing requirements of your project. Thicker metal sheets are generally stronger and more durable, but also heavier and more expensive. Consult with a metal expert or refer to engineering tables to determine the appropriate thickness for your project.

3. What is the best way to cut and shape metal sheets?

The best way to cut and shape metal sheets depends on the type of metal and the desired outcome. Common methods include using shears, saws, plasma cutters, and laser cutters. For more complex shapes, metal bending and forming techniques can be used. It is important to follow proper safety precautions and use appropriate tools for the specific type of metal.

4. How can I prevent rust and corrosion on metal sheets?

Metal sheets can be protected from rust and corrosion by using a variety of methods, such as painting, powder coating, galvanizing, or using a corrosion-resistant metal. It is important to also properly clean and maintain the metal sheets to prevent rust from forming.

5. Can I recycle metal sheets?

Yes, metal sheets can be recycled and reused multiple times without losing their strength or quality. Recycling metal is not only environmentally friendly, but it can also save money on material costs. Be sure to properly clean and prepare the metal sheets before recycling to ensure they can be reused effectively.