Replace Bent Tongue on Utility Trailer - Wall Thickness Suggestions

• Thread starter Dussy69
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Suggestions
In summary, the conversation is about replacing the old tongue of a pop-up camper turned utility trailer with a 2" square tube. The original tongue was made of 1/8" thick steel in a "U" shape, and the individual is seeking opinions on the appropriate wall thickness for the replacement tube. They also discuss the dimensions of the trailer and the possibility of using a steel square tube with slightly thicker walls for added strength.
Dussy69
I have an old pop-up camper that was turned into a utility trailer now. The old tongue has bent and come lose because it looks like it was a flat piece of metal that was bent into a horseshoe shape for extra strength. I want to replace it with 2" square tube. I want to keep the trailer light in weight but make sure it can handle weight. Looked at .25" wall square tube but thinking it will be quite heavy. Want your opinions on wall thickness? What kind of weights would the thinner thicknesses be able to handle? There would be 3 feet of tongue out the front and about 3 feet under the bed. The bed of the trailer is roughly 4 feet wide and about 6 feet long. Any info would help...

Engineering news on Phys.org
Dussy69: Would you be able to post a dimensioned diagram showing the original configuration of the old tongue?

I am sorry if this isn't what you are needing... The original tongue is made of about 1/8th thick steel that is in the shape of a "U". It is about 2" tall and 2" wide. It is buried in snow right now but I might be able to figure out how to post a picture this weekend as it will be in the upper 30s to lower 40s... Yippie... Haven't had 40 degree temps for like three months...

No, I think I might understand what you mean now. The U cross section is typically called a channel cross section. (It might also have a small inward or outward lip along the two free edges; no problem.) Measure your channel dimensions accurately. And ensure you are measuring the wall thickness of your channel accurately. Then, you can replace your channel with a steel square tube having the same dimensions and exactly the same wall thickness, which will be slightly stronger than your channel. Or, if you want the square tube to be even stronger, you can increase the wall thickness of the square tube by an additional 0.5 to 1 mm thicker than your current channel wall thickness.

Thank you for reaching out for scientific advice regarding your utility trailer tongue replacement. It is important to carefully consider the material and dimensions when making any structural changes to a vehicle to ensure safety and functionality.

Firstly, using a 2" square tube for the tongue is a good choice as it provides strength and stability. However, the wall thickness should be carefully considered. A thinner wall will result in a lighter weight, but may not be as strong as a thicker wall. The weight that a thinner wall can handle will depend on the specific material used and the overall design of the trailer. It would be best to consult with a structural engineer or refer to a weight capacity chart for the specific material you plan to use.

In general, a .25" wall thickness may be quite heavy for your trailer. It is important to find a balance between weight and strength. A thinner wall, such as .125" or .188", may be more suitable for your trailer. However, it is important to ensure that the trailer tongue can handle the weight of the trailer and any potential cargo.

Additionally, the length of the tongue will also affect its weight capacity. The longer the tongue, the more weight it will be able to handle. With a 3-foot tongue and 3-foot under the bed, the total length of the tongue will be 6 feet. This should be sufficient for a 4-foot wide and 6-foot long trailer, but again, it is important to consult with a structural engineer or refer to a weight capacity chart to determine the optimal length for your specific trailer.

In summary, when choosing the wall thickness for your trailer tongue, it is important to consider the specific material and design of the trailer, as well as the desired weight and length of the tongue. Consulting with a structural engineer or referring to weight capacity charts can help ensure that your trailer is safe and functional. I hope this information helps you make an informed decision for your utility trailer.

1. How do I determine the wall thickness needed for the replacement tongue?

The wall thickness needed for the replacement tongue will depend on the weight capacity and size of your utility trailer. It is important to consult the manufacturer's specifications or consult with a professional to ensure you choose the correct wall thickness.

2. Can I use any type of material for the replacement tongue?

It is not recommended to use just any type of material for the replacement tongue. It should be made of a strong and durable material such as steel or aluminum to ensure the safety and stability of your utility trailer.

3. Do I need to reinforce the replacement tongue?

In most cases, reinforcing the replacement tongue is not necessary if you choose the correct wall thickness and material. However, if you are unsure or have a heavy load capacity, it may be beneficial to reinforce the tongue for added strength and stability.

4. How do I remove the old bent tongue?

Removing the old bent tongue will vary depending on the type of trailer you have. In most cases, it will involve removing bolts or welding spots that attach the tongue to the frame. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions or seek professional help to ensure it is done safely and correctly.

5. Can I replace the bent tongue myself or should I seek professional help?

Replacing the bent tongue can be a complex task and requires proper tools and knowledge. If you are not experienced in trailer repair, it is recommended to seek professional help to ensure the replacement is done correctly and safely.