Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need some technical support.

1. Oct 27, 2016 #1
    I have an idea on placing mini turbines(just taking its principle into account) to water flow to over head tank and i have thought of generating electricity,so kindly help me with some technical help,what amount of power can be generated through this?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2016 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF!

How much water is being moved and how does it get there? Can you provide a diagram of the system?

4. Oct 29, 2016 #3
    i dont have its diagram,but i can give you the flow rate of water=its approximately takes 18 seconds to fill a complete 1litre of water.can yo please provide me the power output that can be generated out of it,on an average atleast,i thought of storing it into battery and using it whenever it is necessary,so that i can save some unit of curent in my home.

5. Oct 29, 2016 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

In order to find out the power you need the pressure. Since you don't seem to know, I'll just take a wild guess and assume it is 10m of head (pressure in units of height of water column). That would provide you a power of 5 Watts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted