1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need someone to check my proof

1. Jan 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If f and g are continuous real functions on [a,b] which are differentiable on (a,b), then there exists a point [itex]x \in (a,b)[/itex] such that [itex][f(b)-f(a)]g'(x) = [g(b)-g(a)]f'(x)[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    Not sure if my reasoning is correct here... I can assume that closed intervals are compact, and if a function a real function f defined on an interval [a,b] obtains a maximum value at a point x such that a<x<b, and if f' exists, then f'(x) = 0.

Proof: Define [itex]\gamma : [a,b] \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] by the rule [itex]\gamma(t) = [f(b)-f(a)]g(t) - [g(b) - g(a)]f(t)[/itex]. Want to show their exists a point [itex]x \in (a,b)[/itex] such that [itex]\gamma'(x) = 0[/itex]. Observe that [itex]\gamma(a) = \gamma(b)[/itex]. Hence if [itex] t \in (a,b) [/itex] such that [itex]\gamma(a) = \gamma(b) < \gamma(t)[/itex], then since [a,b] is compact, f obtains a maximum value on [a,b]. Call this point at which [itex]\gamma[/itex] obtains a maximum value x. [itex]x\neq a[/itex] since [itex]\gamma(a) < \gamma(t)[/itex]. Similar reasoning shows that [itex]x \neq b[/itex]. Hence since [itex]\gamma[/itex] obtains a maximum value at x, it follows that [itex]\gamma'(x) = 0[/itex]. This completes the proof. If instead [itex]t \in (a,b)[/itex] such that [itex]\gamma(t) < \gamma(a) = \gamma(b)[/itex], then same conclusion holds following similar reasoning.

I'd like to know whether my reasoning that x can equal neither a nor b is correct.:smile: (and if this is sufficiently rigorous by your standards.)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2012 #2
    I think it looks good.

4. Jan 5, 2012 #3
    Wait I have an individual question for you. I admit to my noobiness, but I just want to ask you a question. So, suppose you could treat this as a form of a chain rule. Could you use inverse function to prove this exists as well such that finverseb-finversea=g'(x)? I mean sorry I didn't symbolize it correctly, but when I see this, I automatically recognize some inverse relations applied with the chain rule. I could be wrong though. You care to elaborate?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook