Need suggestions for project

In summary, Louis is looking for light materials to make a boat that is as strong as possible but can hold the most mass. He is considering wood, styrofoam, and plexiglass. The boat will be tested in a tub of water and the winner will be the one that displaces the most water.
Louis
Hi everyone,

Its great to see that there is actually a place where students are able to get solutions for their many physics and mathematices problems. I have come today to ask for your assistance as well.

I was given a project by my Gr.11 physics teacher. The objective of this project is to create a barge (flat boat) that is as light as possible, yet can hold the most amount of mass given. The group who has the best ratio (weight of mass: weight of boat) will get top marks.

With this, I am wondering what type of materials would be the best to use as the fuselage of the boat. One that is light but is strong enought to support a given mass.

Thanks in advance for your help guys/gals.

Louis

Physics news on Phys.org
Balsa wood.

It's cheap, it's light, it's strong, it floats.

Thanks. But wouldn't there eventually be water accumulating inside the wood, making it soggy almost? I was also considering styrofoam. Any more suggestions would be of wonderful help. Thanks again!

How long does it need to stay in the water, and how long between trials?

Strofoam would be a good idea, but I'd think it's a little harder to get into the right shape.

Approximately what size will it be, and where are you testing it?

On the due date, it will be only one trial that should take approx. 3-4 minutes. The boat will be tested in a tub of water about 75 x 50 x 40 cm. Therefore the boat has to be made within those dimensions.

My teacher has specified that the boat will continue to be added weight to until the boat starts to leak, or if it sinks because of the weight. The weight will be bolts. They will be added in increments of 10-20 bolts per round.

I am also concerned about the stability of the boat as the weight is added to the boat. Therefore I was thinking of making the base wider than the top, or place weights underneath the boat to add stability.

Thanks a lot for your help!

The amount of load that your boat can take is equal to the weight of the water it displaces, minus the weight of the boat, so you want something as light as possible that displaces as much as possible.

Since your tub is 75x50x40, an optimal boat will be just a little bit smaller than that. That way you can displace all of the water.

A really simple solution is to track down the largest waterproof flat-bottomed tub that you can find that will fit into the testing pool. You could also assemble one out of plexiglass, but you'll need to make sure that your seals and joints will be able to handle the pressure. If you've got a swimming pool available, you can also try a cardboard box or laundry basket inside a plastic bag -It might work.

Similarly, if you decide to go with a boat built out of styrofoam, two-component insulation, or some other floatation material, the ideal dimensions will be 'just smaller than the testing tub'.

If the boat you build has a large flat bottom, or is just smaller than the testing tub, it will be very unlikely to tip. The "tub" design has the added advantage that any bolts placed in the tub will act as ballast to stabilize it.

You could always attach a keel to the bottom, if you need to.

Louis you realize your teacher will kill u this is playjurism

louis whos ur partner? justin or mich

What is the best way to come up with project ideas?

The best way to come up with project ideas is to start by brainstorming topics that interest you or that you have a lot of knowledge about. You can also look at current trends or challenges in your field of study to find inspiration. Additionally, talking to others in your field or conducting research on previous projects can help generate new ideas.

How can I make sure my project is original and hasn't been done before?

To ensure your project is original, it is important to conduct thorough research on existing projects in your field. This can include searching academic databases, talking to experts, and reviewing previous projects. You can also put a unique spin on a common topic or explore a new angle to make your project stand out.

What are some important factors to consider when choosing a project?

When choosing a project, it is important to consider your interests, available resources, and feasibility. You should also consider the potential impact of your project and how it aligns with your goals and the goals of your field of study. Additionally, make sure to choose a project that is manageable within the given time frame.

How can I ensure my project is scientifically sound?

To ensure your project is scientifically sound, it is important to follow the scientific method and conduct thorough research. This includes properly designing and conducting experiments, analyzing data accurately, and drawing valid conclusions. It is also important to consult with experts in your field and use reliable sources for information.

What are some tips for presenting my project effectively?

To present your project effectively, it is important to clearly communicate your research question, methods, and results. Use visual aids, such as graphs or charts, to enhance your presentation and engage your audience. Practice your presentation beforehand and be prepared to answer questions. It is also helpful to present in a confident and organized manner.