Need Summer Program Suggestions

In summary, the speaker is a junior in high school who has developed a passion for math and science after taking a Pre-AP Physics class in their freshman year. They are looking for summer programs to gain experience and learn about real-life experiments and how physicists work. They have asked for suggestions or advice and have been advised to ask their teachers, guidance counselor, and check out community colleges and other colleges in their area for outreach programs. They have also been encouraged to physically visit the schools and speak to professors in their department of interest.
GeekyGreg
Hello,

First of all I love the site! I really love exploring all the different subforums and learning a lot about all the different areas of physics and the rest of science.

Anyways, I am a junior in high school, and I took a Pre-AP Physics class in my freshman year and liked it but didn't think much more about it. Then in the beginning of my sophmore year I fell in love with math and science. I have been reading books that have been recomended on this site, and signed up for AP Calculus next year as well as AP physics, but since I am kinda coming into the game late I don't think my grades will be sufficient when applying to the more "prestigious" colleges. I was wondering if there are any summer programs for people my age. Are there programs for me to gain experience or to learn about real life experiments or how physicists work? I have a job on the weekends so I can probably save up money for a plane ticket, seeing how i live in Hawaii now that will probably be needed.

Thanks for any suggestions, or helpful advice!

-Greg

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by asking one of your math or science teachers. You could also ask the guidance counselor at your school.

Also check out community colleges and/or other colleges in your area. Many colleges have outreach programs for high school students interested in math/science/engineering. If you can't find the information you want on their website, you can try contacting specific people at the school by phone or email. Even better, physically go to the school (if it's a reasonable distance away) and try to talk to someone from your department of interest. For example, go to the physics department, find the main office and talk to the secretary/administrator there. Tell him/her that you want to know if they have any outreach programs for high school students and ask what professor you should speak to about this. Good luck!

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a summer program?

When choosing a summer program, consider your interests, goals, and budget. Think about what you want to gain from the program, such as new skills or experiences. Also, consider the location, duration, and reputation of the program.

2. What types of summer programs are available?

There are a wide variety of summer programs available, including academic programs, sports camps, volunteer programs, and cultural immersion programs. You can also find programs focused on specific interests, such as music, art, or STEM.

3. How can I find summer programs that fit my interests?

You can research summer programs online or ask for recommendations from teachers, counselors, or friends. You can also attend college fairs or visit the websites of universities or organizations that offer summer programs.

4. Are summer programs beneficial for college applications?

Yes, participating in a summer program can be beneficial for college applications. It shows that you are dedicated to learning and developing your skills outside of the classroom. It can also help you stand out from other applicants and demonstrate your interests and passions.

5. How can I afford a summer program?

Many summer programs offer scholarships or financial aid for students who demonstrate financial need. You can also look for programs with lower costs or consider fundraising or crowdfunding to cover the expenses. Additionally, some programs offer discounts for early registration or referrals.