1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need Textbook Recommendations

1. Dec 6, 2008 #1
    Can anyone recommend an introductory general Astrophysics text for a senior physics undergrad? I'm looking for something that has at least a moderate amount of mathematical examples, and is heavy on exposition (even ad nauseum). I like textbooks that include some history of the subject, for example, a book that explains where equations come from, as opposed to just spewing them out at the reader. I also tend to prefer the writing style that can be found in books written by the OG scientists (i.e. Maxwell, Planck, etc.).

Thanks a lot.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2008 #2
    I haven't read any books about astrophysics or anything like that, but Google brings this up.

From http://www.citeulike.org/user/jasmithoffice/article/3021096

4. Dec 6, 2008 #3

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

5. Dec 6, 2008 #4

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I find Introduction to Modern Astrophysics by Carroll and Ostlie to be an amazingly comprehensive reference. Highly recommended.

6. Dec 7, 2008 #5

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The only "bad" things about is that it is ENORMOUS - 1400pages

And no color images :(

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?