Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need The sum of time to calculate speed

1. Jun 8, 2004 #1
    To all
    Don't you need The sum of time to calculate speed.
    This is the question in my book

A horizontal force of 280 N is exerted on a 2.0 kg discus as it rotated uniformly in a horizontal circle (at arms length) of radius 1.00 m. Calculate the speed of the discus.

I am not he smartest person around but I just for the life of me can not figure how to get the time. am I suppost to assume it.

Thanks
    tumbleweed

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2004 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As far as I can tell, the discus is undergoing uniform circular motion.

[tex]F_{net} = F_{centripetal} = \frac{Mv^2}{R}[/tex]

You know all the values except v for which you need to solve.

4. Jun 8, 2004 #3
    speed

Thanks
    The same formula is in the book but worded diff
    That helped alot
    This is my first physics class of many and I can now see it will be along road.
    I am taking the class on line and I can see I needed a real class.
    Thanks again
    Tumbleweed

5. Jun 8, 2004 #4

Gza

Yes, physics unlike many other classes will be quite difficult without some guidance to help you "unwire" a lifetime of mostly false intuitions about the workings of the natural world. The only advice I have is to stick with it and you will make it through with a good understanding. I never thought of my self as particularly intelligent either, but through hard work, and really thinking through the implications of the physical laws and methods i've learned, I have succeeded and made it through all my classes with A's. My advice to you for success would be the same.

6. Jun 9, 2004 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Don't sweat it, it appears to me to be a poorly worded problem. I also would have guessed the force was a torqure accelerating the disk, not the centripedal force on it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?