Need The sum of time to calculate speed

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the speed of a discus undergoing uniform circular motion with a horizontal force of 280 N and a mass of 2.0 kg. The formula F=mv^2/R is used to solve for speed, and the individual providing the summary offers advice for success in studying physics.
Tumbleweed
To all
Don't you need The sum of time to calculate speed.
This is the question in my book

A horizontal force of 280 N is exerted on a 2.0 kg discus as it rotated uniformly in a horizontal circle (at arms length) of radius 1.00 m. Calculate the speed of the discus.

I am not he smartest person around but I just for the life of me can not figure how to get the time. am I suppost to assume it.

Thanks
tumbleweed

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I can tell, the discus is undergoing uniform circular motion.

[tex]F_{net} = F_{centripetal} = \frac{Mv^2}{R}[/tex]

You know all the values except v for which you need to solve.

speed

Thanks
The same formula is in the book but worded diff
That helped alot
This is my first physics class of many and I can now see it will be along road.
I am taking the class on line and I can see I needed a real class.
Thanks again
Tumbleweed

Yes, physics unlike many other classes will be quite difficult without some guidance to help you "unwire" a lifetime of mostly false intuitions about the workings of the natural world. The only advice I have is to stick with it and you will make it through with a good understanding. I never thought of my self as particularly intelligent either, but through hard work, and really thinking through the implications of the physical laws and methods I've learned, I have succeeded and made it through all my classes with A's. My advice to you for success would be the same.

Tumbleweed said:
This is my first physics class of many and I can now see it will be along road.
Don't sweat it, it appears to me to be a poorly worded problem. I also would have guessed the force was a torqure accelerating the disk, not the centripedal force on it.

1) How do I calculate speed using time?

To calculate speed, you need to divide the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. The formula for speed is: speed = distance / time.

2) What units should I use for time when calculating speed?

The units for time used in calculating speed can vary, but some common units include seconds, minutes, and hours. It's important to make sure the units for distance and time are consistent when calculating speed.

3) Does the direction of travel affect the calculation of speed?

No, the direction of travel does not affect the calculation of speed. Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, regardless of its direction.

4) Can I use the average speed to calculate the total time traveled?

Yes, you can use the average speed to calculate the total time traveled. The formula for time is: time = distance / speed.

5) How does the speed of an object change over time?

The speed of an object can change over time due to various factors such as acceleration or deceleration. The rate of change of speed is known as acceleration, and it is measured in units of distance per time squared.