Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need tips on changing major

1. Oct 9, 2010 #1
    When I started school (2-3 years ago) I thought the best field to get into would be the IT field. Few months later I get an IT job and it's "meh", then I get a better paying IT job and it is even more "meh". Long story short I cannot stand my classes and have grown to hate the IT field, hate customer service, and hate almost everything about this field (I can find nothing that I like)

I am getting tired of doing nothing; just sitting and waiting for issues to come so I actually have work to do; yes I know, I get paid to sit... Booooring!

Note: I have AS in IT

Anyways, while taking science classes I found that I have a passion for Astronomy, Geology, Physics, and Paleontology... Would it be practical switching my undergraduate major to one of these disciplines?

If not I was thinking possibly computer engineering? But then again I cannot stand not being physically active... I want a career that is hands on. So computer engineering probably isn't the best bet? What about mechanical engineering and so on?

Thanks! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2010 #2

fss

If you are 2-3 years into your current major, you are almost certainly going to have to stay in school for probably 3 more years before you can get a Bachelor's degree in any of the mentioned disciplines.

Computer engineering, mechanical engineering, and even physics can be very hands-on depending on what kind of engineer/physicist you wind up as.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook