How can I bound the given expression from above as x and y go to infinity?

• Thread starter twoflower
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bound
In summary: I think.In summary, Carl is trying to find an upper bound for the following equation: x+y/x^2-xy+y^2. He is using the theorem about the product of limited function and function going to zero to help him. He is not sure if he has found a solution or not.
twoflower
Hi all,
we've been doing multi-variable functions and one exercise involves (or at least in the way I've been solving it) the need to bound the following from above (x and y go to infinity):

[tex]
\left| \frac{x+y}{x^2 - xy + y^2}\right|
[/tex]

What I have done so far:

[tex]
\left| \frac{x+y}{x^2 - xy + y^2}\right| = \frac{1}{\left|x+y\right|}\ \left|\frac{(x+y)^2}{x^2-xy+y^2}\right| \le \frac{1}{\left|x+y\right|}.K
[/tex]

You know, I think I could prove that the second part is <= K for some K and using the theorem about the product of limited function and function going to zero I would have it.
Anyway, I can't find that K...Could you help me please?
Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand the problem. What I think you're saying is you need an upper bound for

[tex]\left| \frac{x+y}{x^2 - xy + y^2}\right|[/tex]

for x and y any real numbers. BUT THAT doesn't seem to be the case because the little thing diverges at 0 to infinity. So I'm not sure what kind of limit you're looking for.

Anyway, here's some general advice that you may find useful:

In this sort of problem, where there are several degrees of freedom contributing to a problem, you should always consider hunting around for a transformation that into new coordinates that makes the problem easier. What you want to do is to xform the problem into one where one of the coordinates can be trivially seen to maximize the function.

This is one of those tricks that may only be learned by seeing a few examples worked out. The problem you have is one where the bottom looks somewhere between (x-y)^2 and (x+y)^2 while the top looks like (x+y). So I'd be looking at sums and differences of x and y.

Carl

Thank you Carl,

I'm sorry if my initial post isn't clear. I don't want to bound for any x and y real, both x and y go to infinity and in that case it can be bounded by some K from above...

1. What does it mean to "bound this from above"?

When we say we need to bound something from above, we mean that we need to find an upper limit or maximum value for that thing. This is often used in mathematical or scientific contexts to help us understand the range of possibilities for a particular variable or phenomenon.

2. How do you determine the upper bound for something?

The process of determining the upper bound for something depends on the specific context and what we are trying to bound. In some cases, we can use mathematical equations or models to calculate the upper bound. In other cases, we may need to conduct experiments or gather data to estimate the upper bound.

3. Why is it important to bound something from above?

Bounding something from above allows us to better understand the range of possibilities for a particular variable or phenomenon. It can help us make predictions and draw conclusions based on the upper limit of that thing. It also allows us to compare different values and determine which is the most extreme or significant.

4. Can the upper bound change over time?

Yes, the upper bound for something can change over time. This is especially true for dynamic systems or variables that are influenced by various factors. As new data is collected or new information is discovered, the upper bound may need to be adjusted to accurately reflect the current understanding of that thing.

5. How do you know if your upper bound is accurate?

The accuracy of an upper bound depends on the quality of the data and the methods used to determine it. It is important to use reliable and valid sources of information and to carefully consider any potential biases or limitations. Additionally, it can be helpful to compare the upper bound to other similar values or to conduct sensitivity analyses to test the robustness of the bound.