Creating Custom Connectors for Rack Mount Quad Lab Laser

• Thread starter davesplays
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lab Laser
In summary, the speaker is having difficulty finding suitable FC connectors for their project involving a 4x4x7mm water cooled YVO4 crystal and a 20mm type 2 SHG. They have faced issues with communication connectors being drilled to oversize and poor thermal characteristics of stainless steel connectors. They are seeking advice from physicists for alternative solutions.
davesplays
I have a rack mount quad lab laser it has 4 series wired SMA905 connectorized diodes.I am wanting to use two of the to pump a Spectra Physic Millenia 1st generation 1064nm laser cavity which has 2 FC female connectorized collimation lenses. They pump a 4x4x7mm water cooled YVO4 crystal from two sides.

I have 2, 5 meter long fibers that were originally part of a Coherent Laser Verdi. I want to cleave the ends of these and create a hybridized delivery fiber that preserves the original pump diode specification of an fc male connector , 800um core a NA of .22.

I am having great difficulty with the fiber industry they either will not use my fibers or will not outsource the FC connectors many are just trying to drill communication connectors to oversize with no consideration of issues with throughput of 40 watt CW 808nm, and heating from losses in the epoxy binder and coupling losses.

Most of these connectors are stainless steel and have very poor thermal characteristics.

The few companies that do make suitable connectors in particular molex division polymicro do not seem to want to sell product not incorporated into a finished jumper??

A real pain in tha Ah posterior!

Any of you physicist's with any ideas for me short of winning lottery or putting my project on hold for 12 wks lead time to have cables built, to pump a 20mm type 2 SHG would be greatly and humbly appreciated, i am technically inclined to a sufficient degree to be able to build my own cables with surplus items if i can just find the right connectors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hmm, sorry @anorlunda. I'm not familiar with those fiber connectors. Hopefully by now other connector systems are standard.

1. What is a custom connector for rack mount quad lab lasers?

A custom connector for rack mount quad lab lasers is a specialized adapter that allows you to connect the laser equipment to other devices or systems. It is designed specifically for use with rack mount quad lab lasers and may not be compatible with other types of equipment.

2. Why do I need a custom connector for rack mount quad lab lasers?

A custom connector is necessary because it ensures a secure and reliable connection between the laser equipment and other devices. It also helps to prevent damage to the equipment and ensures proper functioning.

3. Can I use a standard connector instead of a custom one?

No, it is not recommended to use a standard connector instead of a custom one for rack mount quad lab lasers. Standard connectors may not fit properly or provide the necessary level of precision and stability required for the equipment to function correctly.

4. How do I choose the right custom connector for my rack mount quad lab laser?

Choosing the right custom connector depends on the specific model and specifications of your rack mount quad lab laser. It is essential to consult with the manufacturer or a knowledgeable expert to ensure compatibility and proper functioning.

5. Can I create my own custom connector for a rack mount quad lab laser?

It is possible to create your own custom connector for a rack mount quad lab laser, but it is not recommended unless you have sufficient expertise and knowledge in connector design and the specific requirements of your laser equipment. It is best to consult with a professional or the manufacturer for optimal results.

Back