Find "P. Erdős and R.J. Wilson, On the Chromatic Index" Paper

• Thread starter Dragonfall
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paper
In summary, the conversation is about a person needing to find a paper titled "On the chromatic index of almost all graphs" by P. Erdős and R.J. Wilson. The paper is published in the journal J. Comb. Theory, but it is only available as an abstract online and cannot be found in the person's library. They are asking for help in obtaining the full article and another person offers to send it to them via email.
Dragonfall
I need to get this paper:

"P. Erdős and R.J. Wilson, On the chromatic index of almost all graphs, J. Comb. Theory, Ser. B 23 (1977), 255-257"

J. Comb. Theory is on ScienceDirect, but they only have the abstract online, and I can't find a hard copy of this journal in my library. Does anyone have any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ask your librarian... in many cases if your library doesn't have the article, it can be sent over from another library.

http://www.oclc.org/illiad/ if you're curious (but you don't need to worry about how the system works ;-)

I have access to the full article. If you give me your email I could send you the pdf.

Sent.

Thanks[itex]\times 10^6[/itex]!

1. What is the significance of P. Erdős and R.J. Wilson's paper on the chromatic index?

The paper, titled "On the Chromatic Index", is considered a groundbreaking work in the field of graph theory. It introduced the concept of the chromatic index, which is the minimum number of colors needed to color the edges of a graph so that no two adjacent edges have the same color. This concept has numerous applications in computer science, mathematics, and other fields.

2. What motivated P. Erdős and R.J. Wilson to write this paper?

The authors were interested in finding a connection between the chromatic index of a graph and other graph parameters, such as the degree sequence and the maximum degree. They also wanted to generalize previous results on the chromatic index and explore its properties.

3. How did P. Erdős and R.J. Wilson approach their research for this paper?

The authors used a combination of techniques, including probabilistic methods and graph coloring algorithms, to study the chromatic index of various types of graphs. They also provided several conjectures and open problems related to the chromatic index, which have since been studied by other researchers.

4. What are some notable results presented in the paper?

One of the main results presented in the paper is an upper bound on the chromatic index of a graph in terms of its maximum degree. The authors also proved that the chromatic index of a regular graph is equal to its maximum degree. Additionally, they showed that the chromatic index of a graph with a given degree sequence is at most 2 more than the maximum degree in the sequence.

5. How has P. Erdős and R.J. Wilson's paper influenced the field of graph theory?

The paper has had a significant impact on the field of graph theory, particularly in the study of graph coloring and related problems. Many subsequent papers have built upon the results and conjectures presented in this paper, and the concept of the chromatic index is now a fundamental concept in graph theory and its applications.