Need to find an EM book between Griffiths and Jackson.

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of studying electromagnetic theory through various books such as "Field and Wave Electromagnetics" by David K Cheng and "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David Griffiths. The conversation also mentions the difficulty of studying "Classical Electrodynamics" by J.D. Jackson and suggests other books such as "Classical Electromagnetism" by Jerrold Franklin and "Principles of Electrodynamics" by Melvin Schwartz as alternative options. There is also a discussion about the importance of understanding complex analysis and other mathematical subjects in order to fully grasp the concepts in these books.
yungman
I am a self studyer and I studied "Field and Wave Electromagnetics" by David K Cheng and "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by david Griffiths. Cheng is more for EE where it put a lot of effort in phasor, transmission lines, Smith Chart. Griffiths is more on the physics side that cover in more detail in the general topics, retarded potentials. The two books has about 60% in common.

What is the next logical book to study other than JD Jackson which is very difficult and I also I was told that I need to study Complex Analysis to tackle the Jackson.

I finish PDE only, what other math subject I need to complete to move beyond Griffiths and Cheng?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at Franklin's "Classical Electromagnetism" on Amazon.

On the university library shelves you'll find a lot of books by authors with names from G to J - they are between Griffiths & Jackson. No smiley. I'm not joking. You'll need a lot of help (try A-F and k-z authors as well...)

There is no next "logical next book". If you're aim is to understand Jackson, start reading Jackson, and when you get stuck start asking questions here... If you get no answers here, Google until you find an answer... or browse through the E&M sections of your local University library or bookstore until you find an answer to your *particular* problem... then buy/borrow *that* book - it's your next logical book!

Unfortunately, for your next problem you might need another book... so it could get expensive... Still stuck? Hire a physics PhD student to get some tutoring. They get paid peanuts, so they shouldn't cost too much...

The difficult part of Jackson for most students is not so much the text but the problem sets.

The question of a text at a level between Griffiths and Jackson has come up before in this forum. I'll give my usual recommendation of Schwarz, Principles of Electrodynamics. It's a very readable book.

By the way, you don't need to study all of complex analysis to tackle Jackson. The chapter in Mary Boas's book should be plenty.

I second the recommendation for Vanderlinde.

Thanks for all the replies. I want to buy one book. I got two suggestions, Vanderlinde and Franklin. Which one is better for self studyers like me...that don't have a professor to go to. My only resource is this forum and another forum. Questions that can be answer in minutes might take me days to solve. So clear derivation is very important for me.

I am open to other books also. So far, of all the EM books I have, Griffiths and Cheng are the best in clear derivation department.

Thanks

Alan

You will be fine studying jackson at this level . Landau is very good and develop the whole electromagnetic theory from the principle of relativity and lagrangian formalism . I don't think that jackson is very difficult either. It's the problem set that are difficult not the explanations

Vanderlinde's book reminds me of R.Fitzpatrick's notes (which were free to dld on the internet about 7-8 years ago). Same layout, same typing. Anyways, a good book. I particularly like his Lorenz over Lorentz part. :)

Meir Achuz said:
Look at Franklin's "Classical Electromagnetism" on Amazon.

Yes, Classical Electromagnetism by Franklin is the one..

Franklin's "Classical Electromagnetism" includes all the math you might need in the text, and is a good way to learn both math and EM. It starts at the beginning, but gets up to Jackson level with explanations.

1. What is the difference between Griffiths and Jackson's Electrodynamics books?

Griffiths' book, "Introduction to Electrodynamics," is a more introductory level text that covers the fundamentals of classical electromagnetism. Jackson's book, "Classical Electrodynamics," is a more advanced text that delves deeper into the mathematical and theoretical aspects of electromagnetism.

2. Which book is better for beginners in electromagnetism?

Griffiths' book is often recommended for beginners as it provides a more approachable introduction to the subject. However, it is ultimately up to personal preference and learning style.

3. Can both books be used as standalone texts?

Yes, both Griffiths and Jackson's books can be used as standalone texts for studying classical electromagnetism. However, they may also be used in conjunction with each other as supplementary texts for a more comprehensive understanding.

4. Which book is more widely used in the scientific community?

Jackson's book is more commonly used in advanced undergraduate and graduate level courses, as well as in research settings. However, Griffiths' book is also widely used and considered a classic text in the field.

5. Are there any other alternative books between Griffiths and Jackson's level?

Yes, there are several other books that fall between Griffiths and Jackson's level, such as "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by Purcell, "Electricity and Magnetism" by Purcell and Morin, and "Introduction to Electrodynamics and Radiation" by Schwinger.