Need to find center of mass of a rod

In summary, to find the center of mass of a rod, you first find the centers of each side, then use that to find the center of mass of the complete object.
Oomair
[SOLVED] Need to find center of mass of a rod

Homework Statement

Where is the center of mass of a uniform, L-shaped iron rod of sides X = 0.8 m and Y = 0.5 m, respectively? Take the corner to be at (x,y) = (0,0), with the X and Y sides along those axes, respectively. (Assume that the rod is so narrow that the dimensions of the outer bend are the same as those of the inner bend of the L.)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't know if this involves integration, but it doesn't look like it, i think that xcm = 1/length total * ( (.8)(0) +(.8)(.8), but it does not work out

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by finding the center of mass of each side separately. Then use that to find the center of mass of the complete object.

how do i know the center of mass if I am not given the mass?

i broke it into 2 parts

(ycm)(Mt) = (m1)(Y1) +(m2)(Y2) Y1 = 0 Y2 = .5, but the unknowns are mass

(xcm)(Mt) = (m1)(X1) + (m2)(X2) X1 = 0 X2 = .8

Oomair said:
how do i know the center of mass if I am not given the mass?
The mass of each side is proportional to its length. That's all you need.

i broke it into 2 parts

(ycm)(Mt) = (m1)(Y1) +(m2)(Y2) Y1 = 0 Y2 = .5, but the unknowns are mass

(xcm)(Mt) = (m1)(X1) + (m2)(X2) X1 = 0 X2 = .8
Careful here: X1, Y1 should be the center of one side; X2, Y2, the center of the other.

but should'nt X1 and Y1 be treated as the reference line?

Oomair said:
but should'nt X1 and Y1 be treated as the reference line?
Not sure what you mean. X & Y are the coordinates of the centers of each side. (Try drawing yourself a diagram.)

Last edited:
Break it and sum. Everything is linear when talking about center of mass

Check this to understand the center of mass better:
http://www.tubepolis.com/play.php?q=center%20of%20mass&title=Center%2Bof%2BMass%2C%2BConservation%2Bof%2BLinear%2BMomentum%2BPart%2B1&engine=1&id=ROYYNJkhG4g&img=http%253A%252F%252Fi.ytimg.com%252Fvi%252FROYYNJkhG4g%252Fdefault.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do you calculate the center of mass of a rod?

To calculate the center of mass of a rod, you need to know its mass distribution and the distance of each segment of the rod from the origin point. Then, you can use the formula: x̅ = Σ(mixi)/Σmi where is the center of mass, m is the mass, and x is the distance.

2. Why is finding the center of mass important for a rod?

Finding the center of mass is important for a rod because it helps determine the stability and balance of the rod. It also allows for more accurate predictions of how the rod will behave when subjected to external forces.

3. Can the center of mass of a rod be outside of the rod?

No, the center of mass of a rod will always be located somewhere along the length of the rod. It cannot be outside of the rod because it represents the point where the rod's mass is evenly distributed.

4. How does the shape of a rod affect its center of mass?

The shape of a rod can affect its center of mass by changing its mass distribution. For example, a rod with a uniform thickness will have its center of mass in the middle, while a rod with a thicker end will have its center of mass closer to that end.

5. Is the center of mass of a rod the same as its center of gravity?

No, the center of mass and center of gravity are not the same for a rod. The center of mass is the point where the mass of the rod is evenly distributed, while the center of gravity is the point where the force of gravity acts on the rod. These points may not always be the same, especially if the rod is not in a uniform gravitational field.