Improve Grades: Tips for University Students

• Thread starter Gogsey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Grades
In summary, the speaker is a physics student who struggled in their first year but found a passion for engineering. They are currently taking 5 difficult courses and finding it hard to balance their workload. Their grades have suffered because of this and they are looking for advice on how to improve their discipline and grades. They are also considering dropping a class, but it is too late to do so.
Gogsey
Hi,

I'll give you a quick background of my university years so far. In first year I did really poorly, 60%, and then took a year of bio/chem/biochem course and realized engineering is what I'r rather do, and seemed most interested.

So I'm in physics taking all the relevant courses I can get credit for in in engineering physics and a few other engineering disciplines If I choose another type(likely to be mechatronics If I do). last semester I took E&M, Vector Calculus, Modern Physics and a Cc-op class(really like half a course), and Pulled out not a bad avearage, about 70-75%.

This semester I have 5 courses, Diff Eq, Thermodynamics, Dynamics, E&M, and Materials Science. I was warned about jumping from 3 hard classes to 5 hard classes butI tried to do it.

So, thing is I'm finding that I have very little time to study for midterms what with assignments and labs and what not and my marks have suffered form this, roughly getting marks around 60 to 65 percent on the first set of midterms. The average grade for thermo and diff eq was 50% for each one, and which I got both 60% in each and the material was low too, I got 62.5%, and the TA said that was a pretty good mark compared to the average. So I think I am above average. I know I am below average for Mechanics however.

What do I need to do to pull these grades up? Like I said time is very limited for my schedule, I travel by bus to university. I'm also not the most disciplined person, but I'm not lazy. I also find I can understand most problems when I see the result, but a lot of the time there is usually something part way through the solution I didn't think of, and then I can finish the problem myself most times.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it too late to drop one class? It sounds like the warning was right: 5 hard classes is too much. Squeaking through with a weak foundation will not save you time.

"I'm also not the most disciplined person" is going to be a problem. Getting enough study time in even when you'd rather be doing something else is a key.

Unfortunately it is too late to drop a class.

Well I'm working on hopefully improving my discipline. Its not that I don't try to do the work, but when you have short breaks of only one hour between classes sometimes, traveling on the bus loses me about 2 hours a day, having an early class almost everyday, and having long breaks to makes you think you have more time that you do, well it just mounts up I guess. Also been having computer trouble too recently.

Taking 5 tough classes is probably a major factor, ut hopefully I'll get use to it this year, at some cost unfortunately, and be better prepared for next year.

Finals are just around the corner, I suggest studying hard, that's what I plan to do.
I'm a physics student, almost certainly one of your peers since your posts look very familiar to me. As such, our exam schedule is nicely spread out, so I would take that time and really learn the material.

1. How can I improve my grades in university?

Improving your grades in university requires a combination of hard work, effective study habits, and good time management. Make sure to attend all your classes, actively participate in discussions, and take thorough notes. Set aside dedicated study time and eliminate distractions. Seek help from professors or tutors if needed. Prioritize assignments and create a study schedule to stay organized.

2. What are some effective study strategies for university students?

Effective study strategies for university students include creating a study schedule, using active learning techniques such as summarizing and self-quizzing, breaking up study sessions into smaller chunks, and regularly reviewing material. It's also important to find a quiet and comfortable study space and to eliminate distractions such as social media and phone notifications.

3. How can I manage my time better to improve my grades?

To manage your time better, start by prioritizing your tasks. Make a to-do list and break larger assignments into smaller, manageable tasks. Set realistic goals and deadlines for yourself. Use a planner or calendar to keep track of due dates and schedule dedicated study time. Also, remember to schedule breaks and make time for self-care to prevent burnout.

4. Can seeking help from professors or tutors really improve my grades?

Yes, seeking help from professors or tutors can greatly improve your grades. They can provide additional explanations, clarify any confusion, and offer guidance on how to improve your understanding of the material. They may also offer tips and strategies for studying or completing assignments. Don't be afraid to reach out for help when needed.

5. What are some ways to stay motivated and focused on improving my grades?

To stay motivated and focused on improving your grades, remind yourself of your goals and why good grades are important to you. Celebrate small successes and track your progress. Find a study buddy or join a study group for accountability and support. Take breaks and reward yourself for your hard work. Also, remember to prioritize self-care and maintain a healthy work-life balance.