Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need to rectify 100 micro volt

1. Jan 2, 2007 #1
    I need to rectify 100micro v ac to 1 v dc. can u suggest a good rectifier schematic. The most rectifier circuit i found on google did to wrok in this micro volt range.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2007 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you mean "rectify?" Or do you mean amplify? Your question does not make much sense, I'm afraid.

- Warren

4. Jan 3, 2007 #3
    With my limited electronics knowledge I would say you should first transform the signal with some sort of step up transformer. Then you can pass the higher voltage signal through a rectifier circuit to obtain your 1vdc. Be aware that as you increase the voltage, the current is going to decrease proportionately.

It might help if you explained why you wanted to do this. Maybe there is a better way?

5. Jan 3, 2007 #4
    I think this is done all the time in a RF receiver. What frequency are you talking about.

6. Jan 4, 2007 #5
    i am talking about 100khz range and no i cannot amplify the signal first as because it would as it increase the error level

7. Jan 4, 2007 #6
    What exactly is your application that you can't use an amplifier?
    If your 100kHz is so amplitude sensitive that you can't put it through a low noise amp, then it is too sensitive to use a rectifier to detect the envelope.
    Also you can't make 100uV into 1V without amplifying it somewhere so do it at the smallest point.

8. Jan 4, 2007 #7

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

100 uV at 100 kHz is no problem at all for a low-noise amplifier. If you somehow think an LNA would produce more noise than a discrete rectifier, well, you're wrong. The right tool would be the LNA.

- Warren

9. Jan 5, 2007 #8

LNA'S are low noise amplifiers. I need a rms to dc convertor that can convert microvols ac to dc

10. Jan 6, 2007 #9
    I googled and found the following true rms to dc converters AD736/737,AD536/636/637. are this ic s readily available in the market? will i find them in any electonic shops seling ics.

Actuall there are a few shops in my vicinity b but they are all of mdium grades. Large shops are far away and I i do not have a credit card to buy online.

I will be going on tuesday. please advice.

11. Jan 6, 2007 #10

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

12. Jan 6, 2007 #11

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you order from DigiKey without a credit card?

Also look into NewarkInOne - they have local sales offices in all states in the US.

13. Jan 6, 2007 #12
    i AM FROM INDIA

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?