Need to rectify 100 micro volt

• Thread starter ironcross77
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Micro Volt
In summary: DigiKey does not carry the AD736/737, but they do carry the AD536/636/637. They can be ordered without a credit card. NewarkInOne is a US-based company that carries the AD736/737 and AD536/636/637.
ironcross77
I need to rectify 100micro v ac to 1 v dc. can u suggest a good rectifier schematic. The most rectifier circuit i found on google did to wrok in this micro volt range.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you mean "rectify?" Or do you mean amplify? Your question does not make much sense, I'm afraid.

- Warren

With my limited electronics knowledge I would say you should first transform the signal with some sort of step up transformer. Then you can pass the higher voltage signal through a rectifier circuit to obtain your 1vdc. Be aware that as you increase the voltage, the current is going to decrease proportionately.

It might help if you explained why you wanted to do this. Maybe there is a better way?

I think this is done all the time in a RF receiver. What frequency are you talking about.

i am talking about 100khz range and no i cannot amplify the signal first as because it would as it increase the error level

What exactly is your application that you can't use an amplifier?
If your 100kHz is so amplitude sensitive that you can't put it through a low noise amp, then it is too sensitive to use a rectifier to detect the envelope.
Also you can't make 100uV into 1V without amplifying it somewhere so do it at the smallest point.

100 uV at 100 kHz is no problem at all for a low-noise amplifier. If you somehow think an LNA would produce more noise than a discrete rectifier, well, you're wrong. The right tool would be the LNA.

- Warren

chroot said:
100 uV at 100 kHz is no problem at all for a low-noise amplifier. If you somehow think an LNA would produce more noise than a discrete rectifier, well, you're wrong. The right tool would be the LNA.

- Warren

LNA'S are low noise amplifiers. I need a rms to dc convertor that can convert microvols ac to dc

I googled and found the following true rms to dc converters AD736/737,AD536/636/637. are this ic s readily available in the market? will i find them in any electonic shops seling ics.

Actuall there are a few shops in my vicinity b but they are all of mdium grades. Large shops are far away and I i do not have a credit card to buy online.

I will be going on tuesday. please advice.

Can you order from DigiKey without a credit card?

Also look into NewarkInOne - they have local sales offices in all states in the US.

i AM FROM INDIA

1. How do I measure 100 micro volts accurately?

In order to measure 100 micro volts accurately, you will need a sensitive voltmeter or multimeter that can measure down to micro volt levels. Make sure to calibrate the meter before use and minimize any external factors that could affect the reading.

2. What is the significance of needing to rectify 100 micro volts?

Rectifying 100 micro volts may be necessary in certain scientific experiments or applications that require precise measurements. It is important to ensure accurate and reliable results, especially in fields such as electronics, chemistry, and biology.

3. Can I use a regular voltmeter for measuring 100 micro volts?

No, a regular voltmeter is not sensitive enough to accurately measure 100 micro volts. You will need a specialized instrument with a higher resolution and sensitivity to obtain an accurate reading.

4. How can I amplify 100 micro volts for better measurement?

If you need to amplify 100 micro volts for better measurement, you can use a precision amplifier or an instrumentation amplifier. These devices can amplify the signal while maintaining a high level of accuracy.

5. What are some possible sources of error when trying to rectify 100 micro volts?

Possible sources of error when trying to rectify 100 micro volts include electrical noise, temperature fluctuations, and interference from other nearby electronic devices. It is important to minimize these factors and ensure proper calibration of equipment to obtain accurate readings.