1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Need to solve thise 2 equations

1. May 2, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

i have 2 equations:

400cos [tex]\vartheta[/tex]a = 300 + Vacos45

and

400sin [tex]\vartheta[/tex]a = Vasin45

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

i have no clue, maybe square it.

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi weedannycool! :wink:
    Yes, of course …

what do you get? :smile:

4. May 2, 2010 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Also, you should replace cos45 and sin45 by sqrt(2)/2. I'm assuming the angles are in degrees.

One other thing. Instead of starting a new thread for essentially the same (but corrected) problem, you should continue the old thread, putting in the corrected set of equations.

5. May 3, 2010 #4
    right so i have the to equations squared. not positive with what i should to next though. is there a method for solving these.

thanks for the help so far

6. May 3, 2010 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Do you know any identities involving the sum of the squares of the sine and cosine functions?

7. May 3, 2010 #6
    Mark44's approach replacing sin45 and cos45 with sqrt(2)/2 seems the most straight forward approach. You have 2 equations with 2 unknowns, theta-a and Va. The expression with Va*sqrt(2)/2 in the second equation can be substituted into the first equation. You are left with one equation with one unknown, theta-a. Trial and error to find theta-a. Plug theta-a into either equation to find Va. Theta-a will be in degrees, Va won't be.

8. May 3, 2010 #7
    thanks guys. relative motion is a blast.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook