Need to understand & manipulate EPS foam extrusion & production

View attachment 218288

Not one of mine - this comes from the SymScale Library - but it shows modelling of plastic beads being fed into a plastisicer .
Is there a specific program or is it a machine that produces such image/analysis

View attachment 218288

Not one of mine - this comes from the SymScale Library - but it shows modelling of plastic beads being fed into a plastisicer .
Also, what should I study to be able to understand, analyze and manipulate such things ??

CWatters

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Perhaps search Google Books for

Blowing Agents and Foaming Processes (Conference Proceedings)

Looks like a bunch of papers on EPS and other similar foams.

Hi, You should contact technical people at BASF or Monsanto who developed and manage production quality and applications. Simulation of melt flow is complex but well established wrt mold design to improve economics. Foam properties are closely related to foam density; compressive strength etc. So look at extrusion, injection molding and block molding of EPS and molding of the bead (into fruit boxes etc.). The tech sheets are usually readily available. If stumped talk to a local user of EPS raw materials or your local Plastics Institute. There are not books collecting this vast material in one place.