1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Need Urgent Math Help

1. Jun 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi guys,
    I was working on some few Trigonometric questions and since my book doesn't have an answer sheet, I thought it would be a good idea to scan it and then upload so I someone could review my answers and tell me where I went wrong. There are 14 questions but I left some blank because I didn't get what they were asking... Please correct my mistakes and reply so I can understand better.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    http://www.facebook.com/?sk=media#!/photo.php?pid=1254245&id=1371620807

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Can you put it somewhere that doesn't require one to register with Facebook to see it?

4. Jun 6, 2010 #3
    Urghh.. I didn't know it would happen that way.. Do you have any suggestions as where or how I can upload the page??

5. Jun 6, 2010 #4
    You didn't put an answer for 1. What is sin(3pi/2)? What is cos(3pi/2)? What is cos(0) and sin(0)? 2. Is wrong? The sine function max is 1 and min is -1. So 5+2*(-1)=3. 3. Not the y-axis. Sin(pi/2)=1;whereas sin(-pi/2)=-1. So symmetric with the origin. Being symmetric with the origin means f(-x)=-f(x). 4. Correct. 5. The question was what x value, not what is the minimum value. -3 is incorrect. 6. Correct

6. Jun 6, 2010 #5
    8. Correct
    9. Correct
    10. Correct
    11. Max of cosine is 1 and min is -1. Use that to answer this question.
    12. When x=pi, it reaches it's max. Minimum of sine is -1. When is sine -1?
    13. If the function was 2/3sin(theta), then it would be 1 cycle. If it was 2/3sin(2*theta), then it would be 2 cycles. But instead it 2/3sin(4*theta). So how many cycles?
    14. Correct

7. Jun 6, 2010 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You should be able to attach it to a post here. Click the "manage attachment" button. You may have to go to the advanced options to see it.

8. Jun 6, 2010 #7
    Thanks...needed that I will try posting it again. ( someone already posted answers to questions 8-14)

9. Jun 6, 2010 #8
    Question 11- i figured my amplitude was '4' and so the range should be -4[tex]\subseteq[/tex]y[tex]\subseteq[/tex]4,... why is it not?

10. Jun 6, 2010 #9
    Page re-posted

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I re-posted the questions from the previous post... The only questions I ma still confused about is 7, 11 and please someone check 1- 6..

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

11. Jun 6, 2010 #10
    The amplitude is 3. Max of cos2x is 1 and min of cos2x is -1. So max of y = (3*1+1) & min of y = (3*-1+1). The other answer are posted above 8-14 posting.

12. Jun 7, 2010 #11
    Re: Page re-posted

For 11., it may help to think that [tex]z = 2x[/tex]. Then we can re-write the function as [tex]y = 3cos(z) + 1[/tex]. What would the maximum and minimum values for the function [tex]cos(z)[/tex] be? Considering that, what would the maximum and minimum values of [tex]3cos(z)[/tex] be? Then you just add 1 to both of those to get the answer.

(Do you understand why for a problem like this, you could have replaced 2x with anything and gotten the same answer? No matter if you're dealing with cos(4a) or cos(7d) or cos(6b), the function has a maximum of 1 and minimum of -1.)

13. Jun 7, 2010 #12
    The answer to number 1 is (3)
    Just refer to the Unit Circle- Check the IV Quadrant and notice as the cos or "x value" changes
    as the angle approaches 360 degree line.
    And how did you get 3 for number 2?? I still think its "4"

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  14. Jun 7, 2010 #13
    majormuss: look at Question 2 again. It asks "What is the minimum element in the range of the equation [tex]y = 5 + 2sin\theta[/tex]?" In other words, what is the lowest y-value for this function? Well, you know that the sine function goes from -1 to 1, and therefore has a minimum of -1. Knowing this, what would the minimum of the function [tex]2sin\theta[/tex] be?

Then since the function is [tex]y = 5 + 2sin\theta[/tex], you would add 5 to the minimum of [tex]2sin\theta[/tex] (since [tex]y = 5 + 2sin\theta[/tex] is the same as [tex]y = 2sin\theta + 5[/tex]) to get the minimum of [tex]y = 5 + 2sin\theta[/tex].

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  15. Jun 7, 2010 #14
    oh yes... I get your point...the answer is 3 ... thanks alot!!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook