Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need useful information on Mech. Eng.

1. Oct 4, 2004 #1
    I want advice (since universities all want to say the same thing). I want to invent products. I already have a list of products not yet marketed, I talked to my physics professor's and they told me Mechanical Eng. would be the closes for this goal. Anybody with experience in this field please respond and let me know if it would be a correct path I would really appreciate it.

Thank you
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, it sort of depends on what type of products you're designing.

If the ideas are mostly simple devices with no real chance of "blowing up" or otherwise hurting people, you really don't need a degree at all. Take some physics courses as well as statics and mechanics of materials, and you'll most likely be good to go.

If you've got moving parts, you'll probably be better off with more courses like vibrations, fluids, etc. (depending on the specifics). If you're going to go that far, you may as well go for the degree, as it'll reduce development time (and probably costs).

If you're planning on doing electronic devices, then an EE degree may be in order.

It really depends...

(not what you want to hear, I'm sure)
  4. Oct 5, 2004 #3
    but another opinion, and I thank you for it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?