Need useful information on Mech. Eng.

• Thread starter starbaj12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Information
In summary, the individual is seeking advice on inventing products and has consulted with their physics professors who suggested pursuing a degree in Mechanical Engineering. They are asking for input from those with experience in this field. The response suggests that the type of products being designed will determine the necessary courses and degree. Simple devices may not require a degree, while more complex products with moving parts may benefit from a degree in Mechanical Engineering. Electronic devices may require an Electrical Engineering degree. Ultimately, the decision depends on the specifics of the products.
starbaj12
I want advice (since universities all want to say the same thing). I want to invent products. I already have a list of products not yet marketed, I talked to my physics professor's and they told me Mechanical Eng. would be the closes for this goal. Anybody with experience in this field please respond and let me know if it would be a correct path I would really appreciate it.

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well, it sort of depends on what type of products you're designing.

If the ideas are mostly simple devices with no real chance of "blowing up" or otherwise hurting people, you really don't need a degree at all. Take some physics courses as well as statics and mechanics of materials, and you'll most likely be good to go.

If you've got moving parts, you'll probably be better off with more courses like vibrations, fluids, etc. (depending on the specifics). If you're going to go that far, you may as well go for the degree, as it'll reduce development time (and probably costs).

If you're planning on doing electronic devices, then an EE degree may be in order.

It really depends...

(not what you want to hear, I'm sure)

but another opinion, and I thank you for it.

1. What is mechanical engineering?

Mechanical engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, development, and maintenance of mechanical systems. These systems can include machines, vehicles, and other mechanical devices.

2. What skills are needed to become a successful mechanical engineer?

To be a successful mechanical engineer, you will need strong mathematical and analytical skills, as well as an understanding of physics and materials science. You should also have good problem-solving abilities and be able to work well with others.

3. What are some common career paths for mechanical engineers?

Mechanical engineers can work in a variety of industries, including automotive, aerospace, energy, and manufacturing. Some common job titles for mechanical engineers include design engineer, project engineer, and research and development engineer.

4. What type of education is required for a career in mechanical engineering?

Most mechanical engineering jobs require a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or a related field. Some positions may also require a master's degree or specialized training in a specific area of mechanical engineering.

5. What are some current trends and advancements in the field of mechanical engineering?

Some current trends in mechanical engineering include the use of advanced materials, such as composites and nanomaterials, in the design of mechanical systems. Additive manufacturing, also known as 3D printing, is also becoming increasingly popular in the industry. Additionally, there is a growing focus on sustainability and energy efficiency in mechanical engineering design and development.