1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need wording clarified

1. Sep 13, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

3 forces act on a particle, it is in equilibrium, I am told about two of the three, asked to find the third.

We have a certain force A and it is in the y-z plane, described by a certain angle Beta. Then I'm told that there is a second force B in the x-z plane, described by integer lengths of a similar right triangle. What does that mean?

I have 2 attempts left on this question so I want to be sure. I am assuming it means it is described by the angle Beta in the x-z plane, but this isn't correct according to the website. What other interpretations could there be?

Attempts

I'll give you the numbers and my answer using the above: Beta is 31* A = 15.5 and B = 20.5
    Magnitude of C, the third equalizing force?

Well sin31(A)+cos31(B) is the magnitude of the z component of the equalizing force. sin31(B) is the magnitude of the x component and cos31(A) is the magnitude of the y component. Squaring, adding, square rooting these terms gives 30.67 to 3 sig figs = 30.7, which is "wrong."

edit: I think I solved it by finding a diagram hidden under "hints" but can anyone confirm if the problem statement (as above) is ambiguous?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2010 #2

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Razzor7: One guess might be, force B is at an angle beta, which you already tried. A second all-out guess for the italicized phrase might be that it means force B is at an angle (90 deg - beta), except that it sounds like it might want you to increment the similar triangle only to leg lengths that are integers, which would give only certain lengths for vector B (?). We might be somewhat at a loss without the diagrams.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook