What is the weight of a 1500 kg car on Planet X?

• Thread starter cmNickoli7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, on Planet X, an object with a mass of 70 kg can be lifted by a force of 400 N. Using the formula W = m*g, the acceleration of gravity on Planet X is approximately 5.7 m/s^2. If a car with a mass of 1500 kg is taken to Planet X, its weight would be approximately 8571.4 N. However, the website used a different value for g and therefore gave a slightly different answer.
cmNickoli7

Homework Statement

On Planet X, a 70 kg object can be lifted by a force of 400 N.

a. What is the acceleration of gravity on Planet X?

c. Suppose your car was taken to Planet X. If the car has a mass of 1500 kg, what would its weight be?

Homework Equations

some Formulas I used in solving this:

W = m*g

The Attempt at a Solution

A: W = m*g

400 = 70*g

400/70 = g

g ≈ 5.7 m/s^2

*I checked this and I know that it was correct. So, I used this in the second part of the question as my "g" *

C: W = m*g

W = 1500*5.7

W = 8550 N

*On the website, I put this in the form field and it said it was wrong, So, I got more specific.*

W = 1500*(400/70)

W ≈ 8571.4258571

W ≈ 8571.4 N

*still told me I was wrong. So i tried variations of Significant Digits (8571.43, 8571.426, 8571) all of which, the website said i was wrong. I really would like it if someone could check to make sure that I calculated it right, or if I did something wrong.*
I am teaching myself physics from this website and I am doing well. Although, it is telling me I am wrong, I am not so sure. Of course it could be an error in my calculations but I would like the help of a second pair of eyes. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

The Website Link is : http://library.thinkquest.org/10796/ch4/ch4q.htm

Physics news on Phys.org
cmNickoli7 said:

Homework Statement

On Planet X, a 70 kg object can be lifted by a force of 400 N.

a. What is the acceleration of gravity on Planet X?

c. Suppose your car was taken to Planet X. If the car has a mass of 1500 kg, what would its weight be?

Homework Equations

some Formulas I used in solving this:

W = m*g

The Attempt at a Solution

A: W = m*g

400 = 70*g

400/70 = g

g ≈ 5.7 m/s^2

*I checked this and I know that it was correct. So, I used this in the second part of the question as my "g" *

C: W = m*g

W = 1500*5.7

W = 8550 N

*On the website, I put this in the form field and it said it was wrong, So, I got more specific.*

W = 1500*(400/70)

W ≈ 8571.4258571

W ≈ 8571.4 N

*still told me I was wrong. So i tried variations of Significant Digits (8571.43, 8571.426, 8571) all of which, the website said i was wrong. I really would like it if someone could check to make sure that I calculated it right, or if I did something wrong.*

I am teaching myself physics from this website and I am doing well. Although, it is telling me I am wrong, I am not so sure. Of course it could be an error in my calculations but I would like the help of a second pair of eyes. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

The Website Link is : http://library.thinkquest.org/10796/ch4/ch4q.htm
Your result looks right.

Try a negative answer.

If you look at the source code for the web page, it actually displays the answers :smile:

The answer given is 8565N. Working back, it therefore wants you to use g = 5.71m/s2

(The number of significant figures used for the problems on this page are a bit messed up.)

1. What does it mean to have your work checked?

Having your work checked means having it reviewed or evaluated by someone else to ensure its accuracy and quality.

2. Why is it important to have your work checked?

Having your work checked helps to identify any errors or mistakes that may have been overlooked, ensuring the accuracy and credibility of your work.

3. Who should I ask to check my work?

You can ask someone who is knowledgeable and experienced in the subject matter to check your work, such as a colleague, mentor, or supervisor.

4. How do I know if my work needs to be checked?

If you are unsure about the accuracy or quality of your work, or if it is for an important project or publication, it is always a good idea to have it checked by someone else.

5. What should I do if my work has been checked and errors are found?

If errors are found in your work, you should carefully review and correct them before submitting it for final evaluation or publication. It is important to learn from these mistakes and improve your work in the future.