DIY Electric Heating System for Camper Van | Low Noise, Low Voltage, High Output

• Thread starter voxvox
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses creating a DIY electric heating system for a camper van using a 140mm 12 volt computer fan and a custom nichrome wire coil. The goal is to have a low noise, low voltage, and high output heater fan. The conversation also addresses concerns about the feasibility and battery life of this setup. The estimated battery life for drawing 1000 watts is approximately 2.5 hours, but this may vary based on factors such as the battery's 20 hr rate and the type of fan used. The overall effectiveness and air movement of the system may also be potential issues to consider.
voxvox
Hello Physics Forum.
I need help/validation with a DIY electric heating system for my camper van.

The goal:To create a low noise(19 dB), low voltage (12v), high output (1000w) heater fan, using a 140mm 12 volt computer fan, and a correct nichrome wire coil setup.

1. Will this work?
2. How do I calculate the required length of nichrome wire to have a (1000) watt load @ 12 volts.
3. How many hours can I draw 1000watts from my battery?

Fan: Phanteks PH-F140TS_WT
Fan Size: 140mm
RPM: 1200 ± 10% rpm
Air Flow: 78.1 CFM
Noise Level: 19 dB
Input Current: 0.15 A
Rate Voltage: DC 12V
Input Power: 1.8W

Heating Coil: Custom nichrome wire coil calculated to 1000 watts.
16 AWG (gauge)
.051" dia.
0.260 ohms/ft

Battery: LifeLine GPL-8DL 12v 255ah Deep Cycle
Nominal Voltage: 12 volts
Amp hour capacity at 20 hour rate: 255 amp hour

Control System: On/Off switch for now.
Would love to hear ideas, because I don't even know where to start.

Sketch:

sketch.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
voxvox said:
1. Will this work?
Hi voxvox. Welcome to Physics Forums.

Will it work? Sure, why not.
3. How many hours can I draw 1000watts from my battery?
Just looking at it roughly. You will be exceeding the battery's 20 hr rate, so will be lucky to get 200AH out of it. At 12 volts, 1000W equates to 83 amps. This looks like about 2.5 hours, and that's being overly optimistic.

It should take the chill off the inside of a cold van, but one battery won't even see you through 'till supper time. There won't be a lot of air movement if you employ a computer fan, but that's a separate issue.

Last edited:

What is a DIY electric heating system for a camper van?

A DIY electric heating system for a camper van is a system that allows you to heat your van using electricity. It typically consists of a heating element, a thermostat, and a power source, and can be installed by the owner of the van without the need for professional installation.

How does a DIY electric heating system for a camper van work?

A DIY electric heating system works by using a heating element to convert electricity into heat. This heat is then circulated throughout the van using a fan or blower. The thermostat controls the temperature by turning the heating element on and off as needed. The power source can be a battery or an external power supply, such as a campground hookup.

What are the benefits of a DIY electric heating system for a camper van?

There are several benefits to using a DIY electric heating system for a camper van. It is a more environmentally friendly option compared to traditional fuel-powered heaters. It also produces low levels of noise and vibration, making it a comfortable and quiet heating option. Additionally, it operates on low voltage, making it safe and efficient to use.

What are the potential drawbacks of a DIY electric heating system for a camper van?

One potential drawback of a DIY electric heating system for a camper van is that it may not provide as much heat output as other heating options, such as propane heaters. This can be a concern in extremely cold climates. Additionally, it may require a significant initial investment for the necessary components and installation.

Are there any safety considerations when installing a DIY electric heating system for a camper van?

Yes, it is important to follow all safety guidelines and instructions when installing a DIY electric heating system for a camper van. This includes properly grounding the system, using appropriate wiring and fuses, and ensuring proper ventilation to prevent carbon monoxide buildup. It is also important to regularly check and maintain the system to ensure safe and efficient operation.