Need your help with organic chemistry problems please

In summary, organic chemistry is a branch of chemistry that focuses on the study of carbon-containing compounds. It is important because it allows us to understand and manipulate these compounds, leading to advancements in various fields. Some common challenges in this field include understanding reactivity, synthesizing complex molecules, and interpreting data. To improve understanding, regular practice and active engagement with the material is recommended. There are also various resources available for organic chemistry help, such as textbooks, online tutorials, study groups, and tutoring services.
satycorn

Homework Statement

From burning 7,2 litres of an alkyne, we get 26,4 grams of carbon dyoxide CO2 and 5,4 grams of H2O. Determine the formula of the alkyne.

Homework Equations

CnH2n-2+[(3n-1)/2]O2=nCO2+(n-1)H2O

The Attempt at a Solution

x litres of Alkyne→n x 44grams of CO2
7,2 litres→26,4

But, what do I do with the water?? How do I find the "n"?

Homework Statement

700grams of CaC2 react with water H2O and give 120litres of C2H2. Find the mass in grams of benzene C6H6?

Homework Equations

CaC2+2H2O→Ca(OH)2+C2H2^

I understand that a molecule of benzene is produced by polymerizing 3 molecules of ethyne (C2H2), but how in the world do I use the given info, when I know both the amount of CaC2 that reacts with water and the volume of C2H2 that I get from the reaction? What do I need to estimate??

Homework Statement

A mixture of ethane+ethene+ethyne is burned in the presence of O2 from air.

a) How many litres of Oxygen is needed for burning 10 litres of the mixture?

b) In how many litres of air is found this amount of oxygen?

Homework Equations

C2H6+C2H4+C2H2+O2=CO2+H2O

This is the difficult part, I am not sure whether I have done the equation above correctly or not?? Do I need to take each compound (ethane, ethene and ethyne) and do their burning reactions separately? What do I do from there?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your questions. Here are some suggestions for solving these problems:

1. For the first problem, you can use the equation CnH2n-2+[(3n-1)/2]O2=nCO2+(n-1)H2O to determine the formula of the alkyne. You already have the amount of CO2 and H2O produced, so you can plug those values in and solve for n. This will give you the number of carbon atoms in the alkyne, and from there you can determine the formula.

2. For the second problem, you can use the equation CaC2+2H2O→Ca(OH)2+C2H2 to determine the amount of C2H2 produced from the given amount of CaC2. From there, you can use the fact that 1 mole of C2H2 (26.04 g) produces 6 moles of benzene (78.11 g) to calculate the mass of benzene produced.

3. For the third problem, you do not need to do separate reactions for each compound. You can use the given equation C2H6+C2H4+C2H2+O2=CO2+H2O to determine the amount of oxygen needed to burn 10 litres of the mixture. From there, you can use the fact that air is approximately 21% oxygen to calculate the volume of air needed to provide that amount of oxygen.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your homework!

1. What is organic chemistry?

Organic chemistry is a branch of chemistry that focuses on the study of carbon-containing compounds. These compounds are essential to the functioning of living organisms and are found in everything from food, medicines, and plastics to fuels and cosmetics.

2. Why is organic chemistry important?

Organic chemistry is important because it helps us understand and manipulate the properties and behavior of carbon-containing compounds. This knowledge is crucial in fields such as medicine, agriculture, and materials science, and allows us to develop new and improved products and processes.

3. What are some common challenges in organic chemistry?

Some common challenges in organic chemistry include understanding and predicting the reactivity of different compounds, identifying and synthesizing complex molecules, and interpreting and analyzing data from experiments.

4. How can I improve my understanding of organic chemistry?

To improve your understanding of organic chemistry, it is important to practice regularly and actively engage with the material. This can include reading textbooks, attending lectures and discussions, and completing practice problems and exercises.

5. What are some useful resources for organic chemistry help?

There are many resources available for organic chemistry help, including textbooks, online tutorials and videos, study groups, and tutoring services. Your instructor or academic advisor can also provide guidance and support in finding the right resources for your specific needs.