1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need your help with organic chemistry problems please!

1. Feb 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

From burning 7,2 litres of an alkyne, we get 26,4 grams of carbon dyoxide CO2 and 5,4 grams of H2O. Determine the formula of the alkyne.

2. Relevant equations

CnH2n-2+[(3n-1)/2]O2=nCO2+(n-1)H2O

3. The attempt at a solution
    x litres of Alkyne→n x 44grams of CO2
    7,2 litres→26,4

But, what do I do with the water?? How do I find the "n"?

700grams of CaC2 react with water H2O and give 120litres of C2H2. Find the mass in grams of benzene C6H6?

2. Relevant equations
    CaC2+2H2O→Ca(OH)2+C2H2^

I understand that a molecule of benzene is produced by polymerizing 3 molecules of ethyne (C2H2), but how in the world do I use the given info, when I know both the amount of CaC2 that reacts with water and the volume of C2H2 that I get from the reaction? What do I need to estimate??

A mixture of ethane+ethene+ethyne is burned in the presence of O2 from air.

a) How many litres of Oxygen is needed for burning 10 litres of the mixture?

b) In how many litres of air is found this amount of oxygen?

2. Relevant equations
    C2H6+C2H4+C2H2+O2=CO2+H2O

This is the difficult part, I am not sure whether I have done the equation above correctly or not?? Do I need to take each compound (ethane, ethene and ethyne) and do their burning reactions separately? What do I do from there?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted