Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Needs Answers/direction

1. May 3, 2004 #1
    Hi, my name is Kelvin , i am a year 11 student at Prendiville Catholic College in Australia. Im doing a physics assignment, a scrapbook of everyday thing related to physics. Iwas wondering if u could answer a few questions and send them back to timnkelinoz@hotmail.com
    it would be greatly appreciated

1. Why does sound reverberate of a wall, if it is not an object?
    2. Why does watever expand when frozen?
    3. Time travel, this is one of my most thought after questions. how exactly could it work, and if we could travel through time would we be able to alter the future and the past?
    in religious views, since i am a catholic, im geussing that time travel would be a subject hushed and viewed nervously by Religious fanatics, but im curious. What is time? is it just a measurement created by us to determin the change of events as people grow older?
    The most interesting questions i have ever been presented with however, concern my religion
    how can god have lived for ever? was there ever a biggening? the big bang theory is of course, a theory, but what about before this theory? have i been floating arround, without a purpose for countless infinities? is it just to impossible to comprehend? or maybe, is life jsut a circle, and have we been replaying the same time for countless ages, but with different situations? or, when this world ends.. does another, exactly the same take its place????
    these questions are porbably unintelligent and make no sence, my mind is just a fuming mess of questions without answers, anybody who could give me some direction would be greatly appreciated
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2004 #2
    No. Time and space are the fundamental components of our universe. Time is therefore not just a measurement, as you ask, but is a fundamental component of the universe.

Time is extremely complex, and scientists do not fully understand it yet. Our understanding of time is still evolving.

In Newtonian physics, time is understood as you suggest, used only in order to understand motion. In other words, we see motion of the earth about the sun, and we develop the unit of time of the year. This is objective time, and we use if for such things as determining age.

As physics evolved, we have come to realize that time is more than this. Time is inextricably linked with space, in what is known as space-time. In this scenario, time and space interact, such that motion through time and space is symmetrical, and each influences the other. Therefore, each object in space has its own relationship with time.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?