1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Neeed help with a laplace transform

1. Oct 17, 2005 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2005 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

According to the section entitled "Homework Help" in the Physics Forums Global Guidelines which you agreed to:

So whatcha got?

4. Oct 17, 2005 #3
    It isn't so much to test, jsut to watch a tabel of formula, i know the transform for cos(x), but i can't find any rule which would let me multiplicat it with O(x).

I mean for problems like this you jsut think, and try to figure out how to do it.
    I would say my problem is O(x).

Anyway i got to go to bed now 00:08.. lol...

5. Oct 17, 2005 #4

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you know what [itex]\theta(t)[/itex] is?

6. Oct 18, 2005 #5

for [itex]\theta(t)[/itex] t<0 gives t=0 and t>0 gives t=1 and the transform is 1/s, but that knowledge don't help me much :( ...

7. Oct 18, 2005 #6

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You are right about [itex]\theta(t)[/itex], but that knowledge should help you a great deal.

You have a function that is defined piecewise:

[tex]\theta(t) = \left\{ \begin{array}{cc}0 & t<0\\1 & t \geq 0\end{array}[/tex]

Now, if you multiply [itex]\theta(t)[/itex] by [itex]\cos(t)[/itex], then you just have to multiply both pieces by [itex]\cos(t)[/itex].

So...

[tex]\cos(t)\theta(t) = \left\{ \begin{array}{cc}0 & t<0\\\cos(t) & t \geq 0\end{array}[/tex]

Can you take it from there?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2005
  8. Oct 19, 2005 #7
    You missed that [itex]\theta(o)[/itex]=1/2 my text book say so, but it don't matter.

Can I ignore [itex]\theta(t)[/itex] seen the laplace transform isn't defined for the second quadrant for the x-axis.

Also i must ask how do you get access to all the special signs?

Thx for your time Lorenz

9. Oct 19, 2005 #8

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not a matter of being undefined, but you got the right idea. It's more precise to state that the laplace transform of f doesn't care what values f takes on for x<0.

What special signs?

10. Oct 19, 2005 #9
    Like [itex]\theta(t)[/itex] i just copyed him there :smile:

11. Oct 20, 2005 #10

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?