1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Negating a statement need help ly!

1. Apr 13, 2012 #1
    negating a statement...need help urgently!

Hi everyone:

I am not sure about the following thing I did. Let J be a countable finite set, and [itex]f_{jk}^{0}[/itex] and [itex]f_{jk}^{1}[/itex] be two continuous functions defined on [0,1]. Consider the following statement:

[itex] \forall lj\in J,\forall x\in[0,1],\: \, f_{jk}^{0}(x)\leq f_{jk}^{1}(x)[/itex]

Negating the above statement gives me:

[itex] \exists lj\in J,\exists \hat{x} \in[0,1],\: \, f_{jk}^{0}(\hat{x})> f_{jk} ^{1}(\hat{x})[/itex]

Question 1: Am I correct in the way I negate the original statement?

Question 2 (and perhaps the most important): The fact that the negation involves only one member gives the freedom to assume that every other element satisfies the properties in the original statement? i.e., can I assume, while constructing a proof, that [itex] \forall hz\in J[/itex] other than l and j, [itex] f_{lz}^{0}(x)\leq f_{lz}^{1}(x)\: \forall x\in[0,1][/itex]?

Thanks a lot! I truly appreciate any help you can give me!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2012 #2
    Re: negating a statement...need help urgently!

any one out there willing to help?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook