Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Negating Limits and Continuity

1. Nov 16, 2005 #1
    Let f:I->R and let c in I. I want to negate the statements: "f has limit L at c" and "f is continuous at c". Are these correct?

f does not have limit L at c if there exists e>0 such that for some sequence {x_n} converging to c, |f(x_n)-L|>e for every n.

f is not continuous at c if there exists e>0 such that for some sequence {x_n} converging to c, |f(x_n)-f(c)|>e for every n.

edit: also, what is the negation of "f has a limit at c"?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, those will work, since "for all sequences {a_n} converging to c, the sequence {f(x_n)} converges to L", though not the standard definition of limit, is equivalent to it.

As far as "f does not have a limit at c" (as opposed to "f does not have limit L at c"), you just have to add "for every L":
    "For every number L, there exist an epsilon> 0 and a sequence {x_n} that converges to c, such that |f(x_n)- L|> epsilon."

4. Nov 16, 2005 #3
    Thanks a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?