Challenging the Assertion: Everyone Has a Disliked Relative

• Thread starter bonfire09
  • Start date
In summary: Not everyone has a relative they don't like" would be equivalent to "Some people (at least one), but not everyone, does not have a relative they do not like."
bonfire09
Negate the statement is "Everyone has a relative he doesn't like"

Let x-person
Let y- relative
R(x,y)- x is related to y
L(x,y)-x likes y

∀x ∃y(R(x,y)→~L(x,y))
∃x~∃y(R(x,y)→~L(x,y))
∃x ∀y~(R(x,y)→~L(x,y))
∃x ∀y(R(x,y)^L(x,y))
is this correct? It reads for someone x who is related to all y and x likes all y.

Physics news on Phys.org
do they both sound opposite from each other?

Without actually doing the translation, here is an English rendering:

For every x, there is a y, such that y is related to x and x does not like y.

I don't know if it's proper, but negating the "forall" operator [itex]\sim\forall (x)[/itex] would convey your intention. However this is equivalent to [itex]\exists (x)[/itex] or [itex] \sim \exists (x)[/itex]. To remove the ambiguity you might be able to use the negation of the "forall" operator with the affirmative existential operator if that's what you want to say in the negation. It's clear that negating the forall operator is redundant if you negate the existential operator.

Last edited:
In plane English, I would believe that the negation is that someone likes all their

relatives. Maybe rewriting it : "Everyone dislikes at least one of their relatives",

would be negated as "Someone likes all their relatives", or, saying that a counter

to "Everyone dislikes at least one of their relatives" is : not true, there is someone

who actually likes all their relatives .

Taking the initial English statement "Everyone has a relative they don't like". The negation would be "Some people (at least one), but not everyone, has a relative they don't like."

Last edited:
SW VandeCarr said:
Taking the initial English statement "Everyone has a relative they don't like". The negation would be "Some people (at least one), but not everyone, has a relative they don't like."

Wouldn't it be: " Not everyone has a relative they don't like" , aka:

" Someone does not have a relative they don't like " ?

Problem is English, as every-day languages are imprecise; there is a tradeoff of

flexibility for precision, so maybe other interpretations are possible.

Bacle2 said:
Wouldn't it be: " Not everyone has a relative they don't like" , aka:

" Someone does not have a relative they don't like " ?

Problem is English, as every-day languages are imprecise; there is a tradeoff of

flexibility for precision, so maybe other interpretations are possible.

The negation of the forall operator is ambiguous by itself because it can mean some (at least one) or none. If you use it with the affirmative existential operator, I think the ambiguity is removed. The point I think the OP wants to convey with the negation is that not everyone has a relative they don't like. In logic, you have to specify whether "not everyone" means "some" or "none" although I suppose you could construct a statement with the "or" conjunction.

Last edited:
. The original statement says everyone has a relative he does not like I think it can be negated to form Not (everyone has a relative he does not like) which means Someone has relatives he likes.

bonfire09 said:
. The original statement says everyone has a relative he does not like I think it can be negated to form Not (everyone has a relative he does not like) which means Someone has relatives he likes.

Yes. "Not everyone has a relative he does not like" is the negation. That's what I said. "Not everyone" meaning at least one can be logically expressed as a negation by negating "forall" and affirming [itex]\exists (x)[/itex]. If you just assert "someone", that's not a logical negation. Logic is concerned with the formal structure of statements, not with their linguistic meaning.

I'm not sure why but I have practiced this quite a bit but still I'm having trouble forming predicate forumla's out of informal sentences.

Well, a thought: my prof.used to say that when one goes from , say, English ( or any

language used in daily exchanges ), to a formal language, one is not translating, but

transcribing, because the two --"street language" and formal languages-- are

intrinsically different: daily language is very fluid but ambiguous, and the opposite

is the case for formal languages. This makes the back-and-forth much harder than

going between formal languages or between street languages: a good chunk of the

intended meaning will dissappear or be distorted.

I gave an English rendering of the non-negated sentence earlier. This translates to:

([itex]\forall[/itex]x)([itex]\exists[/itex]y)(Rxy [itex]\wedge[/itex] [itex]\neg[/itex]Lxy)

Negating this we get

[itex]\neg[/itex]([itex]\forall[/itex]x)([itex]\exists[/itex]y)(Rxy [itex]\wedge[/itex] [itex]\neg[/itex]Lxy)

Driving the negation successively inward we get:

([itex]\exists[/itex]x)[itex]\neg[/itex]([itex]\exists[/itex]y)(Rxy [itex]\wedge[/itex] [itex]\neg[/itex]Lxy)

([itex]\exists[/itex]x)([itex]\forall[/itex]y)[itex]\neg[/itex](Rxy [itex]\wedge[/itex] [itex]\neg[/itex]Lxy)

([itex]\exists[/itex]x)([itex]\forall[/itex]y)([itex]\neg[/itex]Rxy [itex]\vee[/itex][itex]\neg[/itex][itex]\neg[/itex]Lxy)

Getting rid of the double-negation:

([itex]\exists[/itex]x)([itex]\forall[/itex]y)([itex]\neg[/itex]Rxy [itex]\vee[/itex] Lxy)

Appealing to the definition of the material conditional:

([itex]\exists[/itex]x)([itex]\forall[/itex]y)(Rxy [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] Lxy)

This comes pretty close to what was said earlier: "Someone does not have a relative they don't like " or, put positively, "Someone likes all of their relatives".

bonfire09 said:
Negate the statement is "Everyone has a relative he doesn't like"

Let x-person
Let y- relative
R(x,y)- x is related to y
L(x,y)-x likes y

∀x ∃y(R(x,y)→~L(x,y))

I haven't read the other responses so apologies if someone already mentioned this.

Your last line there says that:

For all x, there exists y such that: (if x and y are related, then x does not like y).

That is a little different than the original statement, which says that everyone has a relative they don't like.

Example: Your formulation is true for someone who has no relatives. But the original formulation is false.

To see this, let x be someone with no relatives. And let y be anyone else. Then it's true that IF x and y are related, then x dislikes y. It's true because x and y aren't related!

However, it's NOT true that x has a relative he doesn't like. So you have not accurately captured the original proposition.

Last edited:
I noticed that afterwards haha that the statement could still be true even if x and y were not related. Thanks for the help everyone

1. What does it mean to "negate" a statement?

Negating a statement means to make its opposite or reverse meaning. It involves changing words such as "not" or "no" and sometimes rearranging the sentence structure.

2. Why is it important to be able to negate a statement?

Negating a statement allows for critical thinking and analysis of information. It can help to clarify misunderstandings and uncover hidden assumptions. It is also an important skill in scientific research and problem-solving.

3. How do I know if I have correctly negated a statement?

To check if a statement has been correctly negated, you can use logical equivalencies or truth tables. You can also substitute the negated statement in place of the original statement and see if the meaning is the opposite.

4. Can any statement be negated?

Technically, any statement can be negated. However, some statements may be more difficult to negate or may not have a clear opposite meaning. It is also important to consider the context and intended meaning of the statement when negating it.

5. Are there different ways to negate a statement?

Yes, there are different ways to negate a statement. One way is to use words such as "not" or "no" to create the opposite meaning. Another way is to use logical equivalencies, such as De Morgan's laws, to transform the statement into its opposite form. The method used may depend on the complexity of the statement and the desired outcome.