1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Negating uniqueness

1. Oct 18, 2005 #1
    I think I've got this one, I'd just like someone to check my work
    Negate the statement [tex] (\exists! x \in S) P(x) [/tex]

Since [tex] (\exists ! x \in S) P(x) \Longleftrightarrow \{(\exists x \in S) (P(x) \} \wedge \{(\forall x,y \in S) [P(x) \wedge P(y) \longrightarrow x = y \} [/tex]

The negation would be [tex] \sim (\exists ! x \in S) P(x) \Longleftrightarrow \{(\forall x \in S) \sim P(x)\} \wedge \{\exists x,y \in S) \sim [P(x) \wedge P(y) \longrightarrow x = y \} [/tex]

Does this look correct?
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2005 #2

Gold Member

Flip something upside down.
    [tex]\neg(P \wedge Q) \Leftrightarrow (\neg P \vee \neg Q)[/tex]
  4. Oct 21, 2005 #3

Gold Member

Sorry, my comment may not have been clear, and I read that you're teaching yourself (:cool:), so I'll try to explain just to be safe. (I use grouping symbols a bit differently; I think it makes more sense this way.)

[tex](\exists ! x \in S)(Px)[/tex]

has two parts, existence and uniqueness.

[tex]\mbox{Existence: } (\exists x \in S)(Px)[/tex]
    [tex]\mbox{Uniqueness: } (\forall x, y \in S)((Px \wedge Py) \rightarrow (x = y))[/tex]

Call the existence statement E and the uniqueness statement U. The right-hand side of your definition of [itex](\exists ! x \in S)(Px)[/itex] can then be stated as

[tex](E \wedge U)[/tex]

And its negation is

[tex](\neg[E \wedge U]) \Leftrightarrow (\neg E \vee \neg U)[/tex]

So just plug back in the definitions of E and U to get the right-hand side of [itex]\neg[(\exists ! x \in S)(Px)][/itex].

[tex](\neg[(\exists x \in S)(Px)]) \ \vee \ (\neg[(\forall x, y \in S)((Px \wedge Py) \rightarrow (x = y))])[/tex]

which you can further simplify by "distributing" the negations. Here are some handy notes (PDF); see page 4 for a shorter way to write a statement of unique existence.
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?